The cactus is useful in many diets as it contains high amount of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble, to a ratio of 30:70. Insoluble fiber is very effective in preventing and relieving constipation and hemorrhoids. It is also very helpful in preventing colon cancer. It is a good source of calcium and antioxidants. But besides these, the cactus has a delicious flavor, is a complement to many Mexican dishes and is used to make highly nutritious juices and tonics.
Spaghetti with cactus and mushrooms
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 packages of spaghetti
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of diced cactus
- 1 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons of red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta for 15 minutes in water with salt and oil.
- Heat butter over low heat and sauté the cactus.
- After 5 minutes integrate mushrooms and red wine. Let cook until the wine evaporates and season .
- Serve the spaghetti with cactus and mushrooms to taste.
Potatoes with cactus
Yield: 4 servings
4 large potatoes
- 4 cactus
- 1 cup of green tomatoes (not immature , but small green tomatoes )
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
- 2 green chilies or green pepper
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALValentine's Day, ideas to share with your partner
- First you roast the cactus, cleaned under running water and cut into strips. Then cut the potatoes into cubes and then put them in a skillet or saucepan, add 1/2 cup of water.
- The rest of the ingredients are liquefied along with green chillies and tomatoes. Then incorporate all to the cactus and potatoes with a pinch of salt and cook for 10 min. or until potatoes are cooked .
- Serve with rice.
Serves : 4 people
- 500 gr. of tomato puree
- 100 gr. of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 800 gr. of cooked cactus
- 1 liter of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Oaxaca cheese, or fresh
- Fresh Cream
- In a pan heat two tablespoons of oil and fry the onion until transparent.
- Add the flour and stir quickly to integrate.
- Add the tomato puree, season with salt , pepper and oregano .
- When it begins to thicken, put beef broth and correct seasoning. Integrate cactus cooked and washed and let simmer 10 minutes.
- To serve, put on plates and cream cheese and pour the hot soup until the cheese is melted.
Shrimp Cakes with cactus
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALThe bay leaf: therapeutic properties and Mythology
- 2 cups of tender cactus cut into short strips, cooked in salted water .
- 2 cooked guajillo chiles , stemmed and seeded .
- 2 cooked ancho chiles , stemmed and seeded .
- 1 tomato stew.
- 1 garlic clove.
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro , washed well and tied with string.
- 1/2 medium onion slice .
- shrimp broth to taste , but considering use moderately salty shrimp .
- 1 cup of dried shrimp without tails or milled head perfectly dry blended with 1 hard roll into pieces. (You can replace the roll per half cup bread crumbs)
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated .
- Oil for frying .
- Beat the egg whites until stiff * (peaks) . Are added one by one the yolks and mixed carefully.
- Put the shrimp with the sprinkling teaspoons of bread and stirring the mixture (with care so that the egg does not get off).
- Taste the mixture, if too salty add bread crumbs. You put enough oil into a hot skillet with tablespoons of the mixture to form patties, flame down a little , quickly brown them . With a shovel , turning them until browned. Take out and put on paper towels to drain. Grind the peppers, tomatoes and garlic.
- To slice the onion and fry it (until transparent) , drain excess fat and add the sauce melt. Put water or broth . ( It should be thick ) . Put the drained cactus, cilantro and add the patties . Clogging and let simmer a few minutes.
- If lack salt, add a little broth, stir and serve with warm tortillas. This dish is accompanied before a bean cream.
Cactus breaded with cheese
Yield: 6 Servings
- 180 g of shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 1 egg ( 50g )
- cooked white rice ( 180 g )
- ¾ cup of bread crumbs ( 120 g )
- 6 large cactus cooked whole ( 600 g )
- 3 medium tomatoes ( 360 g )
- ¼ onion ( 65 g )
- 1 clove of garlic ( 2 g )
- ½ cup oil for frying ( 120 ml )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On the cactus cooked, on one side open along, trying not open the other end, form a pouch . Are filled with the cheese and close with a stick upright.
- The egg is beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, the cactus are passed in the egg and then bread crumbs to coat completely.
- Fry in hot oil and drain on a napkin paper to remove excess fat.
- Broth is prepared blending tomatoes with garlic and onion.
- Sautee in the sauce in a tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on a bed of rice and pour over the broth.
About the author