Published: 09/30/2008 - Updated: 10/07/2018
Author: Nayeli Reyes2 Comments
The cactus is useful in many diets as it contains high amount of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble, to a ratio of 30:70. Insoluble fiber is very effective in preventing and relieving constipation and hemorrhoids. It is also very helpful in preventing colon cancer. It is a good source of calcium and antioxidants. But besides these, the cactus has a delicious flavor, is a complement to many Mexican dishes and is used to make highly nutritious juices and tonics.
Spaghetti with cactus and mushrooms
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 packages of spaghetti
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of diced cactus
- 1 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons of red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta for 15 minutes in water with salt and oil.
- Heat butter over low heat and sauté the cactus.
- After 5 minutes integrate mushrooms and red wine. Let cook until the wine evaporates and season .
- Serve the spaghetti with cactus and mushrooms to taste.
Potatoes with cactus
Yield: 4 servings
4 large potatoes
- 4 cactus
- 1 cup of green tomatoes (not immature , but small green tomatoes )
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
- 2 green chilies or green pepper
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALThe myth of the Banana and Fatness
- First you roast the cactus, cleaned under running water and cut into strips. Then cut the potatoes into cubes and then put them in a skillet or saucepan, add 1/2 cup of water.
- The rest of the ingredients are liquefied along with green chillies and tomatoes. Then incorporate all to the cactus and potatoes with a pinch of salt and cook for 10 min. or until potatoes are cooked .
- Serve with rice.
Serves : 4 people
- 500 gr. of tomato puree
- 100 gr. of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 800 gr. of cooked cactus
- 1 liter of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Oaxaca cheese, or fresh
- Fresh Cream
- In a pan heat two tablespoons of oil and fry the onion until transparent.
- Add the flour and stir quickly to integrate.
- Add the tomato puree, season with salt , pepper and oregano .
- When it begins to thicken, put beef broth and correct seasoning. Integrate cactus cooked and washed and let simmer 10 minutes.
- To serve, put on plates and cream cheese and pour the hot soup until the cheese is melted.
Shrimp Cakes with cactus
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALAction Network Alternative Agriculture
- 2 cups of tender cactus cut into short strips, cooked in salted water .
- 2 cooked guajillo chiles , stemmed and seeded .
- 2 cooked ancho chiles , stemmed and seeded .
- 1 tomato stew.
- 1 garlic clove.
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro , washed well and tied with string.
- 1/2 medium onion slice .
- shrimp broth to taste , but considering use moderately salty shrimp .
- 1 cup of dried shrimp without tails or milled head perfectly dry blended with 1 hard roll into pieces. (You can replace the roll per half cup bread crumbs)
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated .
- Oil for frying .
- Beat the egg whites until stiff * (peaks) . Are added one by one the yolks and mixed carefully.
- Put the shrimp with the sprinkling teaspoons of bread and stirring the mixture (with care so that the egg does not get off).
- Taste the mixture, if too salty add bread crumbs. You put enough oil into a hot skillet with tablespoons of the mixture to form patties, flame down a little , quickly brown them . With a shovel , turning them until browned. Take out and put on paper towels to drain. Grind the peppers, tomatoes and garlic.
- To slice the onion and fry it (until transparent) , drain excess fat and add the sauce melt. Put water or broth . ( It should be thick ) . Put the drained cactus, cilantro and add the patties . Clogging and let simmer a few minutes.
- If lack salt, add a little broth, stir and serve with warm tortillas. This dish is accompanied before a bean cream.
Cactus breaded with cheese
Yield: 6 Servings
- 180 g of shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 1 egg ( 50g )
- cooked white rice ( 180 g )
- ¾ cup of bread crumbs ( 120 g )
- 6 large cactus cooked whole ( 600 g )
- 3 medium tomatoes ( 360 g )
- ¼ onion ( 65 g )
- 1 clove of garlic ( 2 g )
- ½ cup oil for frying ( 120 ml )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On the cactus cooked, on one side open along, trying not open the other end, form a pouch . Are filled with the cheese and close with a stick upright.
- The egg is beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, the cactus are passed in the egg and then bread crumbs to coat completely.
- Fry in hot oil and drain on a napkin paper to remove excess fat.
- Broth is prepared blending tomatoes with garlic and onion.
- Sautee in the sauce in a tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on a bed of rice and pour over the broth.
About the author
I have not tried the cactus but sound pretty interesting, maybe I have do in some Mexican food, but I am not for sure, so then maybe I have to ask in some store if they have some cactus and maybe buy it, it could be interesting right?
I always think its so amazing to think about cacti, and how alone in a dessert where nothing else can even survive, not even other plants, cacti just thrive. They must have great strength, so Iwould imagine taht eating them provides the body with strength as well.