Published: 07/08/2008 - Updated: 06/01/2016
Author: Nayeli Reyes1 Comments
This little purple or blue fruit is a sodium and cholesterol-free food, high in fiber and refreshing. Its juice is an astringent tonic, diuretic and high in vitamin C. It is one of the fruits that fall in the number one spot in terms of its antioxidant capacity compared to all other fruits and vegetables. The pigment that gives color is involved in human cellular metabolism by decreasing the action of free radicals associated with aging, cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's.
Tart of cranberries and lemon
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour or spelled (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of lemon yogurt
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups of fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F (190 ° C).
- Grease and flour a muffin or cake pan 8 X 4 X 3 "(20 X 10 X 7 CM).
- In a large bowl, make a cream with butter and whisk.
- Add to butter sugar slowly and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Continue beating and add one by one the egg yolks.
- Add then the zest and lemon juice.
- Once ready, in a medium bowl mix the flour and the baking soda to the butter mixture, alternating with the yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites with cream of tartar. Beat until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the mixture.
- Add the remaining egg whites into the mixture, incorporating cranberries.
- With a spoon, put the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for one hour, until knife comes out clean or wooden toothpick inserted into the cake.
- Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes in pan.
- Turn it on a wire rack and allow to cool.
Vegetarian ham (or turkey breast) with cranberry sauce
- 1 large piece of vegetarian ham or turkey breast piece.
- 2 cups of apple cider
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ¼ of pure water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 700 grams of cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place over medium heat in a saucepan the sugar, cider, water and cinnamon.
- Mix them well.
- Add a little fire and heat to dissolve sugar well. Add cranberries and cook from time to time.
- Let cool to room temperature and transfer it to another container. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours to concentrate the flavors. Remove from the fridge half an hour before use.
- Add salt and pepper and seasoning to taste turkey breasts or vegetarian ham.
- In a pan with hot oil fry the meat until it is hot or cooked. (Avoid browning)
- Dip the slices of ham with cranberry sauce and serve.
Fresh cranberry and berries soup
- 500g of mixed berries (cranberries, blueberries, cherries, currants, etc..)
- water 500ml
- The shell of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 nails
- Honey to taste
- 4 ml of cream
- Remove the tails and bones of the fruit and wash and drain.
- Heat the water or juice from the can into a large saucepan along with the lemon zest, cinnamon and cloves. Boil over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add spices and then the fruit.
- Bake between 3 and 10 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Put in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
- Add honey after 1 hour.
- Garnish with a drizzle of cream.
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALAzukis Recipes
- 5 drops of rose water
- 1 cup (250 ml) of cranberries
- 25 cl of pear juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) of currants
- 15 cl of vodka (optional. You can substitute lemon juice or a splash of eggnog)
- Mix cranberries and currants and beat them.
- Add the vodka, pear juice and 5 drops of rose water.
- Mix everything and take it chilled.
- 50g of gelatin
- 250ml of cold water
- 1 bottle of cranberry juice
- 400 gr of granulated sugar
- Carambolo, kiwi or blueberries for garnish
- Aluminum mold
How to Prepare
- Hydrate the gelatin in cold water and dissolve it in a water bath.
- Warm juice with sugar, add the hydrated gelatin quickly, mix well until dissolved.
- Empty the moistened mold and refrigerated two hours earlier.
- Refrigerate until set completely and carefully unmold onto serving plate.
- Decorate with slices of star fruit and kiwi.
About the author
I live in southeast alaska and we get a lot of fresh berries that crop up every summer, and this years season has been so plentiful! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipes, we’ve been looking for ways to use up all these berries!