Desserts for the cold weather are different from those consumed during hot weather. In a warm climate, you are more likely to experience refreshing citrus tastes, maybe something with spices, while enjoying an iced coffee or tea.
Fresh fruits are also an excellent and appropriate dessert option to prepare in hot weather, so try one of these recipes today!
Lemon mousse with strawberries
- 1/2 kilo of strawberries with stalks removed and sliced in halves
- 1 packet of gelatin
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/3 cups of non-fat plain yogurt
- In small bowl, empty the gelatin in with 1/4 cup of cold water, let stand for 5 minutes until it has dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the fourth remaining cup of water with by hand, adding the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and egg until well blended.
- Remove from the heat, pour the mixture into a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature, whisk occasionally in order to incorporate the yogurt.
- In eight dessert bowls, place a cup of strawberries and alternate with a lemon mousse. Let cool until set for about three hours.
Mocha and ricotta cheese tiramisu
This is a light version in which ricotta cheese and yogurt is used instead of mascarpone cream which has a very high fat content.
- 8 halved wafer biscuits
- 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons of coffee liqueur or brandy
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
- Quarter of sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 bar of grated semi-sweet dark chocolate (28 grams)
- Break each of the biscuits into three pieces, divide them among 4 glasses or dessert cups.
- Put the coffee powder in a measuring cup and add boiling water. Add the liqueur or brandy with the teaspoon of sugar until it dissolves well and pour evenly over the wafer biscuits, letting the liquid infuse into them.
- Beat the ricotta cheese with yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until it becomes smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture over the soaked biscuits, sprinkle the top of each dessert with grated chocolate. Cover and chill in the refridgerator for at least 30 minutes, but no more than 3 or 4 hours before serving.
Strawberry Yogurt Mousse
Yogurt is always a refreshing, low-fat option to enjoy desserts with, without adding as much fat as we would with mascarpone cream.
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- 1/2 kilo of fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
Raspberry and currant sauce:
- 1 cup of red currants
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup of raspberries
- Empty the gelatin in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of cold water and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Place a bowl in a pot of hot water creating a bain-marie and move the bowl around until the gelatin has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, meanwhile put the strawberries and sugar in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the dissolved gelatin and yogurt and mix well. Divide among 4 glasses or serving plates. Cover and chill for at least two hours or until set well.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce in a small saucepan: Place the currants, sugar and 2 teaspoons of water, bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let simmer for one minute, remove from the heat and add the raspberries. Mash them up with a hand blender or a fork and press through a sieve.
- To serve, pour a little sauce over each mousse and decorate with currants.
Strawberry ice lollipops
Preparing fruit lollipops in hot weather is always a good choice: All you need is to choose a seasonal fruit and blend it without the skin with water. Do not add a sugar substitute – you can sweeten the mixture with fructose or natural sugar.
- 1 kilo of strawberries
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Disposable Cups (small)
- Wooden sticks
- 1 roll of clingfilm
- In a blender, add water, most of the strawberries and sugar. Blend until liquified.
- Using the strawberries that were left over, cut them into pieces and add to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cups and cover with disposable clingfilm.
- Insert a wooden stick into the centre of each cup, making sure it touches the bottom and place in the freezer.
- Refrigerate until solid. To remove, pass or leave the cup in water until you can remove the ice lollipops.
About the author