Cucumber is a vegetable with interesting nutritional properties, has a modest concentration of vitamin C (10% of the daily recommendation), contains no fat or cholesterol, and contains important phytochemicals that help fight certain cancers. One of its main properties is that it cools the blood and is laxative, which is excellent in cases of constipation and disposal problems.
The cucumber can be a great ally of health especially when we prepare it, the best way is to use fresh in salads and juices, combined with one or two more vegetables, but also goes well with rice or vegetarian sandwiches.
- 120 g of lettuce
- 2 slices of peeled tomatoes
- 500 grams of sliced cucumber
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Vinegar (optional)
- Wash and cut lettuce
- Place in a bowl tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber
- Add oil, vinegar, salt and lemon juice. Mix everything together and voila!
Cold cucumber soup
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 4 large cucumbers
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 / 2 cup of natural yoghurt
- 2 cups of cold vegetable broth
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- Ground white pepper
- 5 mint leaves
- Peel the cucumber and cut into cubes removing the seeds. Grind cucumbers with cream and yogurt.
- Fry the garlic without burning in a pan.
- Mix the cucumber cream with fried garlic, vinegar and mint leaves. Grind at low-speed adding broth to achieve the preferred consistency.
- To serve, place soup in bowls and garnish with fried garlic and heavy cream.
- 1 large envelope of unflavored gelatin or jelly (you can also try it with Agar-Agar)
- 2 cups of water
- Juice of one lemon
- Essence of peppermint
- Brown sugar or molasses to taste
- 2 cucumbers, peeled seeded and grated
- A pinch of spirulina to paint a little gelatin (Optional)
- Gelatin is made as usual but with less water.
- Peel the cucumber, remove seeds and grate, drain all the water.
- When gelatin is still warm, still liquid (not clotted), add the cucumber and brown sugar and blend until fairly smooth. If you want, you can add a pinch of spirulina to get green paint. Mix well and place in a mold to refrigerate.
Salmon and cucumber sushi
Ingredients (4 people)
- 400 grams of rice
- Vinegar, preferably from rice
- 3 leaves of seaweed wakame (from the Sea of Japan)*
- 50 grams of salmon rolled thin
- 50 grams of shredded cucumber
- 1 ginger root
- Soy Sauce
- After cooking the rice, put it in a bowl still hot.
- Put in a pot to heat 2 tablespoons of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar until it is ascertained that the sugar has dissolved. Then add to rice and stir. Put a cloth as a cover and let stand until cool.
- Prepare ginger root by peeling it and cut into slices one-half and the other grating.
- Place in a bowl the ginger slices with a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Once well blended, pour it all over the strips of salmon and leave on for at least an hour and if possible in the fridge.
- Now, mix 6 tablespoons of soy sauce with sugar and grated ginger, then add 4 tablespoons of water. Give some consistency in fire, until it begins to thicken.
- Spread a clean kitchen towel and turn spread over a sheet of seaweed. Build on this sheet layer about 1 inch thick with rice and introducing among salmon. (Repeat, but adding the cucumber). Then roll using the cloth, (wrapping too), and leave aside to cool down slowly.
- Once they are cool, remove the cloth and cut the rolls into pieces about 3 or 4 inches thick. Place these pieces in a flat foot.
- Serve with the sauce prepared in Section 5.
- NOTE: If you find this type of seaweed, you can try pre-blanched cabbage leaves and then put a chill.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 cucumbers
- 400 g of light cream cheese
- 10 cl of semi-skimmed milk
- 1 lemon
- 1 onion
- A bit of parsley and tarragon
- 4 sheets of gelatin
- Salt and pepper
- Dip the gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water. Peel the cucumbers. Cut into slices, sprinkle with salt and let drain 1 hour. Soak in cold water and dry.
- Heat the milk and add the drained gelatin. Mix the cucumbers. Add cheese, milk, gelatin, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, chopped onion, parsley and chopped tarragon. Salt and pepper.
- Fill a cake pan with coating lines (if not, cover the pan with transparent paper) and let cool for 12 hours.
About the author