Published: 08/23/2005 - Updated: 02/23/2018
Author: Nayeli Reyes
While the bulgur is often regarded as "cracked wheat", it is certainly a more refined version, steamed and dried before they are heading.
With cooking, bulgur swells and takes on a sponge-like texture similar to couscous. You can cook the bulgur as rice, or leave to soak and serve raw in a salad. It is the main ingredient of many dishes in the Arab cuisine.
Bulgur with Vegetables
Ingredients for 4:
- 3 tender leeks
- 3 turnips
- 200 g of mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 80 g of fresh bulgur
- A handful of fresh dill
- apple vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil and salt
- Clean leeks and cut the white part in 2 or 3 pieces (the green we can save for soup).
- Peel turnips and cut into medium pieces.
- Clean mushrooms and cut into thin strip.
- Furthermore, use a high clay pot add oil and when warm, add the chopped vegetables to ensure a sautéing 10 minutes over medium heat.
- After this time, we cover the vegetables with water or vegetable broth, add the bay leaf and salt and let cook covered over low heat.
- Meantime, put in the oven or on Carmela pepper to be grilling.
- After 25 minutes, add to the pot of bulgur and vegetables if needed little more water to the recipe. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until we see that the bulgur is ready.
- Finally, peel the red pepper, cut into strips and put on the stew as a garnish.
- Before serving, is sprinkled with fresh dill.
Bulgur Armenia style
Ingredients (4 servings):
- ¼ cup of fine bulgur wheat (pre-soaking in water for 1 hour)
- onion chives
- Two medium-size ripe tomatoes
- Two peppers, one green and one red
- Two well-chopped garlic cloves, two tablespoons of chopped parsley
- olive oil
- Lemon juice and salt
- Cut onions, chives, peppers and tomatoes into small cubes and cover will be in a bowl.
- Then drain the bulgur which is left to soak, add the vegetables and mix everything well.
- Add the garlic and parsley and season to taste with salt, olive oil and lemon juice, then mix everything again.
- Leave half hours in the refrigerator and which is served fresh.
Bulgur layered with tomatoes and feta cheese
- 250 grs of bulgur wheat (sold as herbal)
- 4-5 peeled tomatoes into thick slices
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 200 grams of feta cheese
- 10 black olives pitted and chopped
- Place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl with half teaspoon of salt and pour boiling water over it. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain.
- Spread the bulgur wheat in a slightly oiled pan, cover with slices of tomato and season.
- Pour over the chopped pepper and sprinkle with olive oil. Put 5 minutes under the grill of the preheated oven.
- Remove and crumble over the feta cheese, add chopped olives and put back under the grill 10 minutes more until the feta is golden. Serve freshly removed from the oven.
Kabaka Dolmasi-Stuffed Zucchinis
This is a Turkish recipe
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALYerba Mate: Preparation, Properties and more
- 1.5 kilograms of zucchini
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 250g of minced beef
- 500g of fine bulgur
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 4 g of marine salt
- 2gr of black pepper
- First wash zucchinis and cut a 1cm slice and then make. Remove flesh inside.
- Cut small the onion, garlic, add salt, pepper, tomato sauce and paprika is mixed well. Add the minced meat kneaded well with hands. Finally join the bulgur and semolina and add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stuff zucchinis with paste, leaving a small space to put the slices of zucchini and set aside.
- Simmer about 25 minutes. When ready, add lemon juice, serve hot.
- 1 cup of Semolina wheat (bulgur)
- 2 cup of Water
- 3 / 4 cup of Flat leaf parsley chopped
- 3 / 4 cup of Minced fresh mint
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp of Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Of ground pepper
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALAzukis Recipes
- Put the wheat in a bowl with water and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Then wring and squeeze the remaining water pressing against the wheat sieve with a spoon.
- Now mix in a bowl: wheat, parsley, mint, chives, tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper. To keep it, wrap it in film and store refrigerated. Serve as an appetizer, with fresh lettuce leaves to stack the tabbouleh, or as a salad to accompany a main dish. It is delicious on bread, with slices of meat or any kind of balls "falafel and hummus”.
- 1 / 2 kg. of Processed and cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of sparkling mineral water
- 2 slices of bread
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 / 4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 / 4 cup of cracked wheat or Bulgur
- salt, cumin, coriander, black pepper, red pepper oil for frying
- Process chickpeas cooked, soaking the bread and garlic.
- Soak wheat in hot water and drain. Unite all the ingredients and seasonings, mix well and let stand 15 minutes. Form balls of three centimeters in diameter and fry until completely brown.
- Drain, serve immediately in a pita bread with cucumber, tomato and chopped fresh onions and rich humus above.
About the author