Published: 06/19/2008 - Updated: 03/19/2014
Author: Nayeli Reyes2 Comments
This plant has a spiciness and is originally from India, and is used as grass smell in many types of food such as salads, to flavor raw or cooked tomatoes, mix well with garlic, with lemon, with oil olive, and especially with pasta.
It is used also to season recipes with potatoes, with beans, rice, etc. It is also used for its aromatic oil in some dishes.
Basil is good for stomach and intestinal problems, is very good aperitif and to put in a good mood.
When buying basil and you have a little extra, store in the refrigerator wrapped in newspaper and a plastic bag. Another way to preserve them is smearing a little oil and salt.
Eggplant and basil flan
Serves : 6-8 people
- 2 kg. of eggplant
- 8 cl. of olive oil
- 1 bit of butter for the pan
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of warm milk
For the tomato sauce and basil :
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100 gr. of Bacon
- 3 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 tomatoes
- 12 basil leaves
- 1 pinch of sugar
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALSyrup sap
- To prepare the tomato sauce (with a day in advance): Peel tomatoes and drain . Salt them and place them in a colander to lose excess water. Let drain for one hour.
- Peel the garlic.
- Whisk, blend or crush the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve.
- Wash the basil leaves and place them in the bottom of a salad bowl.
- Pour over tomato sauce. Let stand all day in the fridge.
Prepare the eggplant:
- Peel the garlic and eggplant, and cut into cubes.
- Fry the eggplant in olive oil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme and laurel.
- Reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes covered.
- Remove the thyme and laurel.
- Grind the eggplant with the potato masher. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the milk, eggs and mix until blended.
- Grease with butter a mold high, pour the preparation and cook for an hour in a water bath at 200 °.
- Remove the mold and serve with tomato sauce and basil.
Pancakes with cheese and herbs
Serves : 4 people
- 15 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of heavy cream
- 5 Cl of skim milk
- 50 g of grated parmesan
- Manchego cheese or tofu to taste
- 3 tablespoon of chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp of basil leaves
- olive oil
- salt and ground pepper
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALBurn fat
- Mix fresh cream with milk.
- Beat the eggs and tortillas.
- Add skim milk, grated parmesan cheese crumbles to taste.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil put a saucepan and pour the beaten eggs.
- Sprinkle with 1 cc of chives and make omelet.
- Repeat 5 times with 6 chives and mint and basil.
- Serve with a salad of lettuce.
Wholemeal noodles with basil
Serves: 4 people
- 5 tomatoes
- 400g of spaghetti
- 36 basil leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 100g of Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper
To prepare the dough:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- coarse salt
- Boil the tomatoes. Peel and remove seeds.
- Cut into small cubes.
- Pour a little salt over and let stand in a colander for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently wash and dry the basil leaves.
- Peel the garlic cloves and remove the center.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the tomatoes and mix in the mixer.
- Put it in a bowl, gradually add olive oil, stirring regularly as if you were to mount the mayonnaise.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Put water, salt and a little oil. Once you have broken toss the pasta to boil.
- When they are al dente, remove from heat and strain them.
- Quickly place them in a dish, pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Rolls of salmon and basil
Serves: 3-4 people
- 100 g of frozen green beans (or canned )
- 2 leaves of lettuce
- 1 slice of smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon of 0 % fat cottage cheese (or ricotta 0 % fat)
- 1 tablespoon of brown mustard Savora
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 cup of tomato juice
- 1 sheet of basil
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Cook 100 g of green beans for 5 minutes, cool and drain or, if not directly drain canned green beans.
- Wash the lettuce leaves. In each, place half loach lox. On the salmon: 1 tablespoon fresh cheese or cottage cheese 0 % + 1 teaspoon of mustard Savora + juice 1/2 lime and season lightly.
- Spread the green beans cold in the center, all in the same direction, from side to side. Roll the lettuce leaves so as to obtain two rolls.
- Provide 1 cup of tomato juice with a basil leaf and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to coat the rolls.
Tomato and basil soup
Yield: 6 people
- 50 g of butter
- 1 celery trunk
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of tomato
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 liter of milk
- 1/2 l of broth
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the celery and chopped onion, chopped tomatoes and sauté careful not browning.
- Add the bay leaves, the starch in the form of rain, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk, broth and boil over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and pour the preparation in the blender . Blend and strain.
- Add about each dish two fresh basil leaves cut into strips. Serve hot or cold.
About the author
Basil is just very ok with any combination, one day I prepared a delicious pizza with some fish and I decorated it with basil leaves, and a little bit of oil, all the people was surprised with the nice taste of this plant, so I recommend it very much if you want to change the taste of a normal dish
That tomato basil soup sounds fantastic, I’m super excited to try that one. I love basil lots, so I tried (unsuccessfully) to grow it in my garden this year, but I am starting an indoor herb garden. If you have any suggestions as to how to grow basil indoors…that would be a great article!