The potato is a nightshade plant that was first popular in America because it is native to this continent and its distribution to the rest of the world does not occur until the arrival of the first European settlers. From potato, we commonly consume the underground modification of the stem, it is known as tubercle and whose function is to store vital nutrients for plant (I do not know if there recipes in some other part of the world that use another part of the plant, if you the reader have prepared or heard of such a dish could you share it?, it would be interesting to see other culinary variables).
Potatoes didn’t always had appreciation as today, at least in Europe, as the inhabitants of this continent took them as an eccentricity of the new world, however the nutritional value of potatoes, preparation and economy in kitchen and great tolerance climates and conditions that are unfavorable for other crops made it universally accepted, so much so that some nations would adopt the potato as their base culture, as was the case in Ireland. Potatoes have not only an interesting and rich history, but also I one of the best sources of potassium better than bananas (medium potato with skin may contribute up to 620 milligrams) can also provide important amounts of vitamin C (which acts as an antioxidant and helps our immune system) and vitamin B6 (which helps the formation of red blood cells and metabolize certain proteins). In addition they are also very tasty, so I hope you enjoy these three recipes:
Potato salad with shredded carrots and turkey ham
- ½ kg. of medium sized potatoes
- ½ cup of light mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- ½ red onion
- 2/3 of a carrot
- Olive oil
- 80 grams of turkey ham
- ¼ cup of basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes about 2 cm, place water and salt to taste, cook over medium heat until they have a smooth consistency, test the consistency with a fork is an easy way to take care of your cooking.
- Combine lemon juice and mayonnaise.
- Chop the onion and mix with lemon mayonnaise. To potatoes, add half of this mixture with a spatula or spoon evenly distributing the dressing and let cool.
- Finely chop ham and turkey with a little cooking oil in a pan.
Add remaining dressing, add pepper, basil, grated fresh carrot and ham, stir and serve potatoes.
Baked potatoes with paprika and surimi
- 6 medium baking potatoes, Idaho or Yukon
- 650 grams of surimi
- ½ cup of thinly sliced celery
- ¾ cup of yellow pepper, chopped
- ½ cup of chopped yellow onion
- ½ tbsp. of finely chopped garlic
- ¾ tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- ½ tsp. of ground red pepper or dried red chiles
- ¾ cup of cream cheese, reduced fat.
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1 tbsp. of fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp. of thyme
- Soybean oil or the one you prefer
- With a fork prick the potatoes for easy cooking in the oven and with brush bathe peel potatoes slightly.
- Bake 60 min at about 250 ° C. Search they have a crunchy consistency or golden exterior and a soft center.
- Upon completion of baked potatoes, make a cross-section in each of them with a spoon and get something from the filling to form a bowl in which to place your filling.
- Put the pre-filled potatoes in a separate bowl.
- In a skillet with a little oil, sauté onion, pepper and celery, adding garlic. When finished remove ingredients.
- Stir the above ingredients with the cream cheese, butter, thyme, oregano, ground pepper and paprika. To this mixture add shredded surimi and potato stuffing that was previously extracted.
- Fill generously baked potatoes and replace in the oven with the filling for about 7 minutes or until light golden.
- You can use an electric oven, but at times and temperatures vary, please see the instructions of your device.
- Replacing surimi for crab meat definitely make it more special.
Cream of Potato
- ½ kg. of potatoes
- 100 grams of onion
- 50 grams of butter
- 900 ml of chicken broth
- 120 ml of milk
- 1 tsp. of rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes chop the onion.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and add the vegetables and mix melted butter well with a spoon.
- Add salt and pepper. Cover the pan and reduce heat, allow the vegetables exude for about 5 min.
- Boil chicken broth when vegetables begin to soften, add the chicken broth and cook until the vegetables are ready. This may take up to 15 min.
- Blend the broth with potatoes and milk, try it and see if it requires seasoning.
- Serve and add the finely chopped rosemary.
You can add croutons for better results.
About the author