Fish is an ingredient that we can use to prepare our food because its omega-3 fatty acids are very healthy, natural anti-inflammatory, and they are part of the "good" cholesterol, so if you suffer from high cholesterol, include it in your diet.
Fish soup with noodles and basil
for 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 800 grams of cooked tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 3 cups (750 milliliters) of water
- 1 kilo of sliced fish, such as mackerel
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
- 100 grams of noodles
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes in a large pan with oil. Add the tomatoes, puree, sugar and 1 cup (250 milliliters) of water. When boiling, reduce heat and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Poach fish slices in the remaining 2 cups (500 milliliters) of water, drain and save the liquid. Remove skin and cut fish into chunks.
- Add the tomato sauce, grated lemon zest, basil, noodles and the reserved liquid. Cover and cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes, or until noodles are cooked. Season with pepper. Add the fish and cook 2-3 minutes.
Cooking with Vegetables
Vegetables in general, offer us fiber, which helps lower blood cholesterol levels. They are vital in the diet for many reasons like providing abundant vitamins and minerals.
Fried Broccoli with almonds
for 4 servings
- 2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 500 grams of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons of peanut oil
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fo fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, low salt
- 2 tablespoons of toasted almonds
- Cook carrots and broccoli in water, steam or microwave. Drain and wash them under running cold water.
- Heat oil in a wok or a pan. Stir in onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 4-5 minutes. Add carrots, broccoli and soy sauce and cook another 3-4 minutes. Just before serving, stir in almonds.
Oats has gained popularity because it reduces cholesterol naturally.
Banana and pineapple muffins
- Oven temperature: 200 ° C
- 1 ¼ cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp of mixed spice
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 cup (45 grams) of oat bran
- 1 small banana, mashed.
- 150 grams of canned crushed pineapple, drained.
- 3 egg whites, lightly batted.
- 2 tablespoons of polyunsaturated oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) of pineapple juice
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices in a bowl. Add sugar and oat bran.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Blend the banana, pineapple, egg whites, oil and juice. Add flour to the mixture and stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into muffin tins, lightly greased. Bake at 200 ° C for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
About the author