Japanese Daikon means "big root”; it is a large white radish that is especially rich in vitamins and minerals. Scientific studies have proven that the Daikon contains enzymes that promote digestion.
Rice mixed with basil
- 200 g. of brown rice
- 200 g. (approx.) of red beans
- 3 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 1 white onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 piece of 'Daikon" radish
- Herb salt
- Pure olive oil first cold pressing
- If you do not have radish, it can be replaced by a piece of kombu seaweed, if you do not have algae you can make the recipe without them, but these mineral ingredients provide very necessary and therefore should be included. Beans can be either natural or boat, in the latter case which is perfect when you have time, we must let the beans soak in all night, and bake throw the cooking water.
- In a saucepan put the vegetables (carrots, leek, onion, radish, pepper and basil) all very cut and covered with a couple of glasses of water (never tap, carafe). Add a dash of oil and some herb salt.
- Bring to a boil, low the heat and continue cooking. Add the cooked beans and correct water that will be required to cook rice, which is incorporated as a boil again. Test for salt, add if necessary. A very tasty variation is to replace the basil for cilantro.
SABA NO SHIOYAKI: mackerel fillets on the grill
- 2 loins of mackerel, with skin
- 100 g. of grated Daikon, also known as mooli.
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- Heat the grill or broiler. Cut the loin in half, salt and leave for 5 minutes. Wash the pieces of fish after the salt in cold water, dry them with absorbent paper. Give a few cuts to the skin but not through the meat. Roast until fish is lightly browned. Place each piece on a single source, with the skin side up. Lightly squeeze the juice grated radish. Form four piles, one for each source. Eating with the right tool, i.e. sticks, putting a bit of horseradish on each slice.
Daikon fried rice
- 400 g of short grain rice
- white radish (Daikon), root and leaves
- 250 cc of bonito broth (Dashi)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Japanese sesame oil
- Wash the rice until the water comes out clear and what we miss in a pan with about 600 cc water to live fire until it boils. Cover and place over low heat, letting it cook for a quarter of an hour. Then, the fire is climbed up to about twenty seconds, remove the pan and let rest for an hour without uncover.
- Separate the leaves of horseradish. Peel the radish and cut it into slices. We wash the leaves well and grossly cut, stem included.
- In a large skillet heat the sesame oil and sauté the leaves of the radish with slices, for about five minutes, until they become tender. Pour the bonito broth, soy sauce and a pinch of salt and let cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Divide the rice into bowls and serve with fried radish on top.
Daikon with Kiwi Sauce
- 300 g of Daikon
- Japanese salt
- 4 leaves of mitsuba
- 1 handful of chopped nori strips
For the sauce:
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALtepezcohuite-1
- 2 kiwis, peeled and crushed
- 1 / 2 teaspoon of mirin
- 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 pinch of Japanese salt
- Peel Daikon, sprinkle salt. Cut the ends to form a cylinder and then split in half lengthwise and cut into cubes of one centimeter per side. For Kiwi Sauce, mix all ingredients.
- Put the sauce in the center of the Daikon dish. Put a little to one side and sprinkle with nori cut into thin strips.
- 3 teaspoonsn of miso
- 3 young garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 pinch of dried Daikon turnip
- 1 tablespoon of wakame seaweed
- 2 pieces of about 5 cm2 of wakame seaweed
- grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 liter of water
- virgin olive oil
- Soak kombu seaweed in a liter of water every night. The next day is also set to soak Daikon turnip, dry for about seven minutes. After this time, drain and cut into small pieces. Also chop the garlic and the onion, wakame seaweed is soaked for 15 minutes and drained.
- Then lightly fry the garlic in a sweet little olive oil first cold pressing until soft. Add broth of kombu seaweed and bake, remove from heat when boiling, as if boiled too long the flavor deteriorates. Also add the chopped onion and Daikon. When both ingredients are soft add the wakame seaweed, soy sauce and fresh grated ginger.
- At the last moment withdrew the seaweed kombu and add the miso. Those wishing to obtain a more intense flavor can add miso to taste.
Daikon, wakame and Sitake soup
- Dried daikon
- Wakame seaweed
- Sitake mushrooms
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALHenna: Natural Dyes
- Cut onions into half-moons, thin slice carrots, wakame seaweed into pieces of 2 cm. Bring to boil water and add the onions, carrots, wakame, lentils, mushrooms and Daikon.
- After 1 / 2 hours, add noodles and cook 7 minutes. Before serving dessert, add a tablespoon of miso per serving.
About the author