Published: 12/04/2010 - Updated: 02/26/2018
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
The addiction that nicotine causes is not so easy to quit and the effects of the components of cigarette cause damage to cells and systems. If you are a smoker, you have left it or are about to quit, do not hesitate to try to follow the diet which will help reduce the harmful effects of smoking in cells and neurotransmitter systems of the brain and cause symptoms such as:
- Overstimulation of breath
- Increased frequency of heartbeat
- Increased blood pressure
- Vasoconstriction of blood vessels.
- Important implications for the cardiovascular system.
- Pulmonary poisoning
- Bronchial constriction
- Lung, kidney, mouth cancer, etc.
- Nicotine facilitates the adhesion of blood platelets in the blood vessels, which promotes the obstruction.
- Smoking snuff increases the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, arrhythmia and angina, and increases the risk of arteriosclerosis, coronary artery spasms, and heart pains.
- Skin problems
- Nicotine is anorectic (decrease feelings of hunger) and stimulates the secretion of adrenaline.
- Smoking decreases the nutrients in the body and considerably lowers vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin A and calcium, which causes the body to have less protection against cardiovascular diseases and osteoporosis risk may be higher.
If you are quitting smoking, the nicotine need may cause you the following:
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Heart rate decreased
- Low blood pressure
NOTE: All of these latter symptoms by smoking need generate more and more difficulty in quitting; however, if you are persistent, these symptoms disappear within a week or more.
Diet for smokers and former smokers
- Increase intake of vitamin C: smoking reduces the vitamin C in your body up to 25%, so it is important that you increase the dose on your body avoiding the consequences that brings the vitamin C lack such as suffer infections, low immune system, gum and skin problems, wrinkles, insomnia, etc. Vitamin C can be found mainly in citrus fruits (lemon, mandarin, grapefruit, etc.) and acidic fruits such as pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, etc. Do not forget fresh vegetables such as broccoli, which contains lots of vitamin C. A healthy way to start the day and help wipe out the toxic constituents of cigarette accumulated in your body is by drinking the juice of one lemon and half a glass of warm water on an empty stomach.
- Increase intake of vitamin A: the levels of provitamin A (beta carotene) also fall in the body of a smoker, so you should include in your diet foods like carrots, cantaloupe, papaya, yeast, etc. A fresh carrot juice with a teaspoon of spirulina at mid afternoon will be great and helps your skin to restore.
- Dietary supplements recommended for smokers and former smokers: liquid chlorophyll is a good detoxifier and blood cleanser as well as garlic and onion. The Spirulina is rich in highly nutritious components to avoid severe wear that the cells of smokers are exposed to. To reap the benefits of chlorophyll, add two teaspoons to a quart of water and drink it throughout the day. This remedy also helps you clear your lungs.
- Increase consumption of folic acid: which you find in the pumpkin, asparagus, avocado, beets, the sweet potato, tomato, corn, carrots, garlic, onions, green peppers, potatoes, bananas, strawberries, grapes, raisins, lemon, beans, lentils, soy, nuts, tahini and sesame.
- Avoid consumption of fried and junk foods, and products sweetened with refined sugar such as sodas, which only further disrupt the nervous system and clog the intestines and blood of toxins, which only accentuated the unpleasant effects of smoking.
- Drinking water: pure water is the best thing out there to detoxify the body, plus it helps organs and systems to function properly. You should drink at least 2 liters of pure water a day, do not drink soda or canned drinks.
- Garlic contains powerful medicinal substances to eliminate the harmful effects of smoking and help the immune system to function properly and to strengthen blood vessels and nourish the cardiovascular system. You should consume raw garlic on an empty stomach or at night, accompanied with a glass of warm water.
- Eat foods rich in serotonin. The whole grains, honey and vegetables help keep your serotonin levels to be high and help reduce anxiety.
- Drink green tea after each meal, which is rich in antioxidants.
These remedies will also help prevent weight gain when you are leaving the smoking. It is indeed a big adjustment when you try to leave the habit of smoking, but if you have the will to do it then you can really do it with some help like trying out a portable vape that is out in the market today.
About the author