Facial skin is usually the area of skin that we dedicate most of our attention to, and it’s quite normal for people to acquire several different products to care for it, and for its health. You may have mixed, oily or dry skin, but each skin type deserves attention and care.
A lot of times, however, the skin care products are costly, which is why sometimes, homemade options, and those that are easy on the wallet, could be a better alternative; the results are sometimes surprising.
There are considered to be four main skin types: normal, oily, dry, mixed and sensitive. It is important to identify which skin type you have in order to be able to choose the most appropriate products and recipes.
Oily skin is just that: oily. It has the tendency to have acne outbreaks, and is more prone to accumulating environmental filth. It requires special care to keep skin clean and fresh. It is characterized by excessive shine and open pores.
Mixed skin could have shiny areas, like the famous “T” zone, which includes the forehead, nose and chin, while often times the cheeks and other skin areas are dry.
Dry skin is generally related to older skin. Dry skin tends to be taught, and has wrinkles and skin flakes.
Sensitive skin is easily irritated, and has red patches and is taught.
Normal skin is balanced, and has neither excess oil nor dryness, nor is it taught. This is the type of skin that everyone aims for.
1.- Banana mask for oily skin
- 1 ripe banana
- Fresh juice from one lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Mash the banana using a fork. Add the honey and mix well. Once pureed, add the lemon juice and mix.
- Apply to your face, gently spreading it around with your fingertips, without applying to the area around your eyes.
- Let set for 15 minutes. Remove using a washcloth and warm water.
- Apply a bit of moisturizing cream appropriate for your skin type.
2.- Fuller’s Earth mask
Fuller’s Earth (multani mitti) is one of the best ingredients for oily skin types. It helps remove excess oil while at the same time, naturally treating acne and pimples.
- 2 Tablespoons Fuller’s Earth
- 1 Tablespoon of rose water
- A few drops of lemon juice, recently squeezed.
- Add the lemon juice to the rose water and mix with Fuller’s Earth, until forming a paste. If the mixture is exceedingly thick, add a bit of hot water to soften it, and to make it easier to apply.
- Spread it over your face with your fingertips, avoiding the area around your eyes.
- Let set for 15 to 20 minutes, and remove with warm water and a clean cloth.
- Repeat this procedure two to three times a week.
- If you have mixed skin, we recommend adding one tablespoon of milk to the mixture, rather than warm water.
3.- Fruit Mask for Mixed Skin
Both mixed and oily skin can benefit from fruit and vegetable based masks, with astringent properties, like lemons, oranges, papaya, and even tomato. These masks not only help eliminate excess skin oil, but they also close pores and clean the face.
- Orange, lemon, papaya, or tomato slices
- Place the slices over the “T” zone (forehead, nose and chin) and let set for 15 to 20 minutes before removing. Rinse with warm to cold water. If you have mixed skin, apply ot the entire face.
- Only apply these masks before going to bed, and avoid using them before exposing yourself to sunlight. Some of these ingredients, like the lemon, could stain your skin when exposed to the sun.
4.- Avocado Mask for Dry Skin
Dry skin can benefit from the healthy oils found in avocadoes. In order to prepare a simple mask, follow these instructions:
- ½ small avocado
- 1 Tablespoon almond oil
- Remove the meat from the middle of the avocado and crush with a fork.
- Add the almond oil and mix well.
- Apply the mask to your face, rubbing from the chin up. Avoid the skin around your eyes. Let set for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove with a cloth moistened in warm water. Rinse with warm water.
5.- Egg Mask for Oily Skin
If you want a quick and simple option, you could always use eggs. Egg whites help balance skin oils.
- 1 egg white
- Juice from one lemon, freshly squeezed.
- Mix the egg white with the lemon, beating well. Using a clean brush, spread over your skin. You could also use your hands, but just be careful that none of the mixture gets into your eyes. Avoid application around the eyes.
- Let set for 10 minutes, or until it dries. Then rinse with cold water. You will immediately notice the results.
About the author