Published: 06/18/2011 - Updated: 11/19/2016
Author: Nayeli Reyes4 Comments
Lutein is a yellow pigment of the carotenoid family, which is found in various foods such as seaweed, corn, peppers, egg yolk, etc. It is a powerful antioxidant, which helps to retard spoilage and oxidation of cells and tissues, protects the body from attack by free radicals, that is why it is used in various therapeutic treatments. One of its most important medical uses is to avoid eye degeneration that causes blindness and cataract progression, protecting the outside of the retina.
Foods that contain it:
Calendula, peas, cranberries, oranges, sweet potatoes, egg yolk (owns 85% of lutein), corn (owns 60% of lutein), mustard, red peppers, leeks, tomatoes, parsley, celery, white potatoes, squash blossoms, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli (owns 20% of lutein), cabbage, spinach.
Tomato, basil and goat cheese Salad
- 4 round tomatoes
- Basil, enough
- 250 grams of goat cheese
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Wash the tomatoes and basil.
- Cut them into cubes.
- Mix the tomato slices with basil leaves.
- Add the diced cheese.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil.
This salad is highly recommended; the combination of flavors is great and is also very nutritious. You can make other variations and add chicken pieces, instead of cheese and / or add small pieces of toast (note that this would increase the number of calories).
Red pepper soup
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. of chopped thyme leaves
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 jars of roasted bell peppers preserved in water, drained and chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of goat cheese
- Toasted bread cubes (preferably baguette) = croutons
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat and add onions, carrots, garlic and thyme leaves. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bell peppers, potatoes, wine and sugar. When it comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer partially covered until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Allow the broth to cool slightly.
- Using a hand blender (or common one), blend the soup in the same pan until you get a creamy consistency. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet and toast the bread cubes until they are golden brown. Serve the soup with toasted bread cubes (croutons) and a dollop of mascarpone cheese in the middle.
Squash blossoms stuffed with Green Rice
- 8 clean squash blossoms
- 200 gr. of chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 100 grams of light cheese
- 2 zucchini, sliced
For green rice:
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALWhat is Organic Agriculture?
- 1/2 cup of brown rice
- 1/2 clean green pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For rice, grind garlic and onion. You have to soak the rice overnight before preparing. After cooking, add liquid chile, add water until smooth and let dry.
- The flowers are stuffed with cheese slices and shredded chicken. Fit in a steamer and steam cook for 5 minutes.
- The slices of zucchini are also cooked by steam.
- To serve, accommodate some rice on the plate, above the flowers and decorated with zucchini and tomato slices, you can put some light cream on top, or some hot sauce or ketchup.
Sweet Potato recipe
- 1 kilo of sweet potato
- 2 cups of water
- ¾ kilo of brown sugar
- Wash and cook the potatoes, peel and cut into thick slices, and calculate 3 / 4 k. sugar per 1 k. of sweet potatoes.
- Prepare a syrup with 2 cups water with 1 k. of sugar and vanilla, when it begins to boil place potatoes until they are crystalline.
Celery, alfalfa and parsley Juice
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALPhytomedicine: Past and Present
- 2 lemons with skin
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 1 cup of alfalfa
- Blend lemons thoroughly washed with skin. Strain.
- Mix in the lemon water the rest of the ingredients and sweeten with honey if you like.
About the author
Hello how are you doing this morning people? Thank you very much for these amazing recipes to improve our daily menu in an easy and healthy way. I?m going to include more products with Lutein to feel better and stronger. Again, thank you very much!
thanks for sharing
by the way I follow you on twitter please post on english too
thanks for these recipes too!
I need to keep my antioxidants to help my skin, it is getting dry and dry so I need them…
Oh man, I am thinking I am going to HAVE to make that red pepper soup – it sounds amazing! just reading the ingredients made my mouth water. The salad sounds really good too, although I must say I’m not really a fan of vegetable juices, so I probably won’t try the last recipe. Thanks for the great ideas though!