Published: 09/23/2010 - Updated: 11/05/2017
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
Diverticula are small pouches that protrude from the intestinal lining, are shaped like a thumb and tend to form in weak areas of the large intestine. These bags are usually formed when the intestines cannot really catch up to load the entire colon and toxic substance, when present; there is a high-gravity condition which is usually called diverticulosis or diverticular disease. When these pouches become inflamed, then you suffer from diverticulitis.
When the colon is weakened and, in addition, saturated, diverticulitis is complicated as there is a risk that one of these bags bursts by the pressure, spewing toxic and all the stuff out and infecting bacteria, therefore, the outside of colon.
If this spreads infection, may affect major organs such as the abdominal cavity (peritoneum), which can cause a fatal peritonitis. Sometimes inflamed diverticula can cause intestinal narrowing, which obstructs the bowel function severely. The colon can adhere to the bladder or other organs in the pelvic cavity, causing an abnormal communication between an organ and an adjacent structure or organ (fistula), in this case, that would cause unbalanced communication between the colon and the adjacent organ.
Causes of diverticulosis:
- A diet high in bad fats and toxic or irritating substances, high in processed foods and refined flours, foods low in fiber and enzyme (fresh vegetables).
- Intestinal muscle weakened by overloading, which can result in overweight and / or constipation (lack of normal bowel movement), which increases the pressure inside the large intestine.
- Lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle and bad habits, fast foods and consuming junk food, which favors the disposition of diverticula in the elderly.
- Emotional Causes, when you hold feelings of resentment, and don’t released them, feelings that accumulate in contemporary life with other situations, causing pressure and accentuating feelings of negativity that sooner or later explode.
Often symptoms are not very visible, so it may be more risky. However, you should consider the following possible symptoms:
- In some cases, there is a slight discomfort in the sides of the abdomen
- Prolonged constipation
- After constipation, lower abdominal pain with bowel movements
- Swollen abdomen, hard stools and fewer, and / or foul-smelling gas
- In the case of diverticulitis, there may be pain in the lower abdomen area or tenderness. In some cases there may be a very slight rectal bleeding
Treatment and prevention
The diet is essential. In places far from the city, where the diet is high in fiber and natural foods, there are no such conditions. Avoid all those processed foods and sugar, avoid animal fats, particularly red meat and cow's milk, the latter sticks to the intestinal lining forming dense flakes difficult to digest. The diet should be high in fiber and enzymes, including fresh vegetables, fresh juices and salads, avoiding combining too much food in one meal and avoiding food after eating sweets. The dessert can be taken one hour after eating, preferably, the dessert should not have white sugar.
Exercise: Physical activity helps strengthen the intestinal functions, helping the colon to evacuate because the accumulated toxins flow normally.
Alternative therapies: diet of water is one of the most effective remedies to clean the intestines and keep them healthy, preventing a host of ailments and diverticulosis. Foot reflexology and hydrotherapy are very effective, and the mud poultice on the belly to avoid stagnation of fecal matter.
In case of Inflammation of diverticula, it is essential to follow a strict diet, avoid chemical laxatives for constipation. Try natural fiber, especially water.
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALWhat is Organic Agriculture?
Food and supplements recommended: chia, flax and chlorophyll, are dietary supplements that help maintain healthy bowel evacuation. The apple juice or fresh prunes are excellent at night to heal the intestines. The juices should be fresh without adding sweeteners. You can also eat apple salad with plums or apples biting them. Lemon juice or taking aloee or goji berries while fasting every day are alternatives to clean the bowel of toxic substances. The cure with syrup detoxifies the body depth. Garlic, deep cleans and kills bacteria accumulated in the intestine. Probiotic drinks such as homemade yogurt, kefir or fermented dairy products help maintain health and prevent colon diverticulosis. Include sprouts in foods such as tomatoes, watercress, celery, broccoli and cabbage.
Papaya: while fasting is excellent, ideal in cases of diverticulitis. It is recommended to put 'two days of eating only papaya diet and taking two liters of water on an empty stomach, a glass of hot water in the morning and the other at night. This will clean and strengthen the damaged areas of the intestine.
About the author