Published: 10/05/2010 - Updated: 08/13/2019
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei
Anxiety can result from various causes and can be expressed in many different ways in each human being, however, in most cases, expensive treatments and seeing a doctor or medicines are unnecessary, even when there is strong anxiety, this can be treated and eradicated if we use some modifications in lifestyle and get adequate sleep, sufficient exercise and maintain a proper diet, as these are the essential basis for treating anxiety and help balance the nervous system.
Anxiety can be caused by a low intake of B vitamins and foods that contain tryptophan, an amino acid that regulates levels of serotonin. So food that must be in your diet are:
Medical foods to treat anxiety
Nuts, almonds, walnuts, wheat germ oil, brewer's yeast, cheese and fresh cheese, yogurt, preferably homemade, kefir, probiotic foods, fresh vegetables and oils cold-pressed as olive oil and sesame oil.
Foods not recommended
One of the products that damage the nervous system and eventually deteriorate, causing among other things, anxiety, tension, depression, nervousness and irritability is white sugar and its derivatives. So you should avoid consuming soft drinks, biscuits, cakes, sweets, canned goods, etc. Your nervous system need sugar or energy, yes, but not refined sugar that contains no nutritional value, but the energy content of fruit or honey and some vegetables and molasses.
Here we give you a sample diet with some suggestions which will help you lower your anxiety level:
Fasting: Fresh apple juice with no added sugar or fresh grapefruit or orange juice.
Breakfast: Wheat toast with some cheese with milk of walnuts or almonds.
Food: Vegetable soup not too cooked, more crisp than tender, soybeans vegetable salad. Avoid dessert and sweetened water, the better to accompany the meal is mint, passionflower or anise tea.
1 cup of kefir or yogurt with some fruit to pick.
Lettuce salad with fresh vegetables and whole grain toast with tofu or cottage cheese.
Here are some suggestions for recipes to include in your daily menu:
Anti-anxiety almond milk
- 1 large glass of water
- 1 spoonful of passionflower
- 100 grams of ground almonds
- Rice molasses or honey to taste
- Leave to boil water for five minutes, add passionflower and let stand ten.
- Then let the tea stand with almonds and molasses to taste for two hours. Blend this mixture, strain and drink.
- 100 grams of chestnuts (weighed without shells)
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon or cube of butter (not margarine)
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon offlour
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup of cream
- (Yolk and cream can be replaced by a can of nestle cream)
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the nuts in boiling water and let stand until the water warms. Remove skin from the nuts, drain and grind very well until a paste or puree. Put to cook celery, bay leaf and parsley with little water, until smooth and grind in blender. We must remove bay leaf and parsley before.
- Heat the milk and dissolve the nuts paste, set aside.
- In a pot, sauté onion soup with butter and a teaspoon of oil until fry. Add the flour and mix well, then add the hot broth and stir to dissolve any lumps to a boil and season with salt and pepper for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- If there were lumps that brew, add to nut mixture and stir. Separately, beat egg yolk with the cream and add to pot stirring. Simmer 5 minutes or longer, stirring until hot, but avoid boiling. Serve and garnish with whole roasted nuts.
Anti-anxiety juice (Take on an empty stomach)
- 5 guavas
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Lemon to taste
- Wash all fruits.
- Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Strain and serve.ix well, then add the hot broth and stir to dissolve any lumps to a boil and season with salt and pepper for 10 minutes over medium heat.
About the author