Cochayuyo Alga, Cochayuyu or Colloi is a large alga that can reach 15 meters in length. Its scientific name is Durvillaea antarctica and belongs to the botanical family of the Phaeophyta or brown algae.
This alga has been one of the food resources of Native American communities for centuries and today is part of the traditional Chilean cuisine. Generally used Cooked. It has to be cooked for 15 or 20 minutes, drain and reserve.
You can enjoy its taste and value as an ingredient in salads, paella, soups and stews…
- 100 gr of Cochayuyo
- 1 bottle of dry shiitake mushroom canned
- 3 fat cloves of garlic (+ 2 for the mash)
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- Dip Cochayuyo algae with two cloves of chopped garlic for a few hours to rehydrate for good.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add the minced garlic cloves too. When garlic starts to release its aroma to the cooking, add the drained mushrooms and cut into pieces the size of Cochayuyo, there are some twists and algae are added to the to be removed excess water from the soaking.
- Let it all cook together for a while. Separately beat egg yolks and the whites (in the snow). The buds were cast on slowly and carefully prepared, stirring to mix evenly. Miss salt and pepper. When the bud begins to curdle, throw the snow whites on top. Cover the pan and leave until they have completely curdled.
Vegetable and Cochayuyo soup
- 50 grams of dried seaweed Cochayuyo
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 leek
- 1 turnip
- 1 celery branch
- olive oil
- 2 liters of salt water
- Soak the algae in order to hydrate.
- Put all the vegetables clean and cut often together with algae to sauté with a few spoonfuls of oil, for about 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add water, and let boil about 25 minutes.
Cochayuyo casserole with the tempeh
- 100 g of dry Cochayuyo
- 200 gr of tempeh
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- toasted almonds
- Soak seaweed in water until tender. Drain, reserving water. Gently fry the onion, pepper, tomato and eggplant cut into cubes.
- Then add the tempeh to algae. Cook about 5 min everything.
- Add the soaking water and Tamari. After 20 minutes add the chopped and cook 5 minutes more to heat.
Seitan with Cochayuyo
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALThe benefits of a good Soup
- 2 onions
- 100 gr of Cochayuyo
- 500 g of seitan
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- a cup of broth to cook the seaweed
- 1 cup of red wine thyme
- Soak the cochayuyo until tender, boil for 10 min. then drain, reserving the cooking water. The cut seitan into large dice and skip in oil. Book. Skip the onion until transparent, add 2 tablespoons of flour and sauté, add the drained Cochayuyo and cook for a while.
- Add the seitan, cook and algae species, cook a few minutes all together and sprinkle with wine. Giving a boil in a sauce so that it is linked, not too thick (if necessary add more broth), correct salt if necessary and add the chopped parsley over too.
About the author