Published: 08/30/2008 - Updated: 10/01/2018
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, has many properties, but especially is notable for its remarkable antioxidant effects that strengthen the immune system, besides helps regenerate skin cells. Do you want to know everything this powerful vitamin can do?
Vitamin C Features
In the body of human, it is concentrated mainly in the adrenal glands, in some parts of the eye and muscles and body fat. This vitamin is water soluble, so the body eliminates excess through urine.
Vitamin C is very vulnerable to the environment, oxidizes (destroys) easily with contact with air (oxygen) in water with chlorine, with the light, copper pipes, snuff smoke and heat (cooking destroys 40%) also destroyed in long storage, or if you leave the plants or fruits to soak. So if you want to take advantage of all the benefits of this vitamin, it is important that, for example, you try drinking freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice and avoid excessive consumption of cooked vegetables.
Benefits of Vitamin C
- Maintains the structure of tendons, ligaments, bones and cartilage (called connective tissue), for this is very effective to stop or help heal rheumatic problems.
- Together with vitamin E and A, vitamin C is a great antioxidant: prevents aging and degeneration of the cells, helps neutralize free radicals (cells that are unbalanced responsible for destroying the sound) and, therefore, is useful in all diets.
- Significantly strengthens the immune system, it is known for its great help in cases of infectious diseases, to prevent any type of infection and to help heal wounds. Very useful for the common cold, to combat all types of coughs, and so on.
- Excellent blood depurative: There is no such vitamin to keep the body free of toxins: This vitamin helps to remove debris accumulated in the body, in addition to cleaning the blood, so does with all organs of the body, cleaning and this is noticeable mainly in the clean appearance of the skin.
- Protects from the harmful effects of pollution and cigarette smoke (the smoke of a cigarette destroys 25 to 40 mg. of Vitamin C).
- It is very useful to help down excess cholesterol .
- Vitamin C prevents the adherence of harmful lumps of fat in blood vessels , and also strengthens vein walls to avoid breakage and internal bleeding.
- Assists in the rapid healing of bone fracture taken together with calcium.
- Helps with elimination of heavy metals like lead, and protects from toxic substances such as nitrates, pesticides, ozone, radiation, solvents, etc.
Deficiency of this vitamin in the body
Symptoms of the body warning that we need to ingest more vitamin C are:
- Hair dry and training ranges.
- Weak, swollen gums that bleed easily (gingivitis)
- Formation of hematomas and / or broken capillaries, the smallest bump.
- Weak decay teeth.
- Weight gain due to a slow metabolism.
- Catching all kinds of diseases.
- A irritated skin, red, scaly, dry (dermatitis).
- Wounds that take a long time to heal.
- Anemia, weakness, lack of enthusiasm.
- Premature wrinkles.
- Pain or problems rheumatics
- Bone softening.
When to consume higher doses of vitamin C
- If you are too long in front of the monitor.
- Children throughout the growth phase.
- If you feel stressed or nervous.
- When the weather is very extreme (too hot or too cold).
- If you smoke or are often surrounded by people who do it, do not hesitate to take at least one orange or lemon a day.
- Habitual consumption of alcohol, addictive substances (drugs) or irritants (medicines, syrups, pills, etc.).
- During infectious diseases.
- During chemotherapy.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- After surgery or recovery from disease.
- If the day is very polluted and you're working or walking near traffic streets or avenues.
- If your diet is based on meat and few vegetables, it is necessary to include a lot of vitamin C.
Foods that contain it:
- All citrus: lemon, plum, orange, guava, pineapple, kiwi, etc.
- Fruits and vegetables: alfalfa, parsley, broccoli, the germinated , pepper, etc.
It is recommended to consume fresh juices from fruits and vegetables at least 3 glasses a day if you do this, try it in the morning (if they are citrus) and fasting, to enhance the effects of the vitamin.
About the author