Published: 07/01/2008 - Updated: 02/04/2018
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
Pregnancy is a very special moment where the mother undergoes many changes and adaptations at anatomical, psychological, structural, spiritual, mental and social factors.
Many of these changes are, for many women, stressful and uncomfortable and massage may be an option really beneficial to help reduce some of the discomforts of pregnancy and to awaken pleasant and relaxing emotions in the mother, as well as aesthetic consequences to prevent stretch marks.
Massage and Pregnancy
It is always advisable to consult your therapist or doctor before starting any prenatal massage session. The pregnancy massage includes various techniques such as reflexology, Swedish massage, acupressure, relaxing hydro- massage , etc. . It is always necessary to resort to a professional masseuse or a serious massage center where one can be well informed.
The benefits of pregnancy massage are:
- It is an excellent alternative to relax physically and emotionally.
- Relieves pressure significantly (pain or discomfort) in the back, neck and joints caused by the extra weight. Corrects posture and muscle weakness.
- Helps stimulate the glandular system which stabilizes hormones.
- It is ideal for maintaining the elasticity and flexibility of the body, which reduces the risk of stretch marks.
- Helps you sleep well and gives the mom a pleasant emotional state. Remember that: Happy mom , happy baby.
- Stimulates blood circulation helping to irrigate oxygen and nutrients to cells and maintain the proper pressure. This benefits not only are for the mother but also the fetus.
- The aromatherapy massage accompanied with relaxing cream helps eliminate depression, anxiety, nervousness, sometimes occurs during pregnancy. In some cases it is better to use a lotion or essence without strong perfume because not many pregnant women like strong odors.
- Regulates bowel movements.
- Stimulates circulation helping to maintain normal pressure.
- Relieves muscle tension and aches or cramps, stiffness, numbness of extremities, and so on.
- Helps to remove fluid and toxins which helps fight fatigue and energize the body.
What is a massage for a pregnant woman?
Sessions last about an hour. During this time you will be lying (usually on side) on a special bed for you, where you'll be very comfortable. The masseuse will put special pillows and cushions your stomach if your pregnancy is advanced. After the first 22 weeks of pregnancy, lying completely on your back can cause pressure on deep blood vessels due to the weight of the baby, which can reduce the circulation of both mother and fetus. To avoid this problem you can use the pads that are especially effective for lying on your side.
The massage tis naked, but you'll be covered with a sheet and only the part that is being massaged is exposed. The masseuse can use creams, oils or special tonics that make massage has greater benefits. In some cases using diffusers with some essence of flowers or herbs for more benefits.
Recommended before you go to massage:
- Make massage after the first trimester of pregnancy and so do it twice a week in the last quarter.
- Do not eat any food two hours before the massage .
- Avoid drinking water before the massage and go to the bathroom before you start to avoid interrupting the massage.
- Take a warm bath before going to your session.
- If you've never have taken a massage, you can ask someone to accompany you to give you more confidence.
- Make sure the place where you are going is professional.
- The person applying the massage should have soft and short nails, and avoid wearing watches, rings or any jewelry that could cut or just make noise distracting concentration.
- The massage should be carried out in a comfortable way, no noise of phones, traffic, children, pets etc.
- If you feel some discomfort during pregnancy, suspend.
- You can take advantage and combine this time asking to put some soft music. Your baby feels the frequencies of music, and if at this time you will be very relaxed, the baby can benefit richly from this time also.
- When you leave the massage, try to eat light .
- If your pregnancy is delicate, consult your doctor .
The following are some circumstances in which massage should not be applied and that you should consider or consult with your doctor:
- Heavy loss (watery or bloody)
- Infectious Disease
- unusual pain
- Pre –eclampsia
- Hyper blood
- Abdominal pain
- Any condition bad
The circumstances or areas of the body where massage should not be applied are:
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALPhytomedicine: Past and Present
- Burnt Skin, eruptions , open wounds, bruises
- dilated veins or varicose veins raised
- Local infections
- Dermatitis, skin redness
About the author