Published: 09/03/2005 - Updated: 08/14/2019
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei
Vegetarian and vegan diets are complete and well balanced. It is important that if we decide to be vegetarian or vegan, we get informed about nutrition. Thus, we are confident in our choice, we can help eliminate the myths and find existing improvements to our health by choosing foods with more success we enjoy.
Reasons to become a vegetarian
- In the 70s, there were several investigations that have shown that diets low in fat prevent heart disease. The vegetarian diet has these characteristics may also reverse these evils.
- Polyunsaturated fats tend to lower blood pressure, while animal fats raise it.
- It is a good measure to prevent cancer by the amount of fiber in vegetarian food, to facilitate the removal of food waste, toxins are eliminated, thereby preventing colon cancer. There are also lots of vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, garlic and other foods that contain anticarcinogenic.
- The pasta without meat contains large amounts of carbohydrates and is the preferred food of the runners because it produces a slow and sustained energy without excess fat or calories.
- The more fruits, vegetables and cereals you eat, the greater amount of nutrients your body will have. A vegetarian diet varied and properly balanced provides the necessary levels in nutrients your body needs.
- The diet based mainly on cereals, vegetables and fruits, help to control diabetes. Asians and Polynesians have a similar diet and cases of diabetes among this population are rare, but when they adopt the Western way of food, cases of diabetes are becoming more numerous with frequent complications, such as arteriosclerosis.
- The dishes based on vegetables are cheaper, about the cost of fruit, think that is saving the medical bills.
- The pastas and cereals are good sources of energy, especially recommended for athletes to build muscles and increase endurance. Against what is generally believed, the vegetarian diet is low in protein.
- Increases nutrition knowledge by taking an interest in changing the eating habits and using the literature available on vegetarianism.
- It is a complete food because all the nutrients the body needs are found in vegetable, vitamins, amino acids and minerals are present in plants.
Food alone is not enough…
As important as proper nutrition, is the emotional balance that we must maintain to stay healthy. This is something difficult to achieve in this convulsed era, but it is necessary to use the resources we have at hand to achieve this. We must begin by reviewing our attitude towards life and avoid the habit of rushing, characteristic of large cities, which only manage to alter the nerves produced anxiety, anguish and stress, our quality of life deteriorated with negative implications for our body.
About the author