Published: 10/23/2012 - Updated: 08/14/2019
Winter can be the ideal time to lose body fat, by walking. Maintaining your usual exercise routine is one of the best ways to increase your chances of losing a size now approaching the end of the year.
If you were used to walk outdoors during summer, changing to a different activity in winter can cost you even more to lose weight.
Maybe you can find a new activity that requires organizing your day differently or do an exercise that does not feel so comfortable, and during a particularly stressful time of year.
Research shows that people who lose weight gain it back if you do not the equivalent of a walk of 5 to 6.5 miles a day. No matter what the weather and find a way you can too.
Climate is perfect
Walking in winter offers a refreshing change of rutine. The invigorating cold air can clear the mind and reduce stress, which can help you lose weight.
Research has shown that stress can increase levels of cortisol, a hormone that may increase appetite and promote fat storage. Going outside during the day, also increases levels of serotonin, a hormone that helps calm cravings. Even if the weather forces you to walk more slowly, you may be burning more calories. Walking against the wind also requires more energy.
Face the cold
Leave your old sweater at home. Increase your encouragement buying something new and warm. The high-tech synthetic fabrics make all the difference between comfort and justify the expense. Winter weather requires some special preparations. Do not forget the following tips:
- Do at least 10 minutes of heating. When it’s cold, the muscles need more time to get ready for work.
- Wear a scarf or mask loose, protecting your nose and mouth to avoid breathing the cold air directly. This is important especially if you suffer from asthma or heart problems.
- If there is snow, choose a pair of shoes with special soles for traction.
- If temperatures are too low and can cause frostbite or if there is ice or the possibility of finding a dangerous traffic do your exercise in the ceiling at home.
Learn to enjoy the cold season:
- Enjoy a new world: Hear the sound of icy branches swaying in the wind, or search the animal tracks in the fresh snow. These changes, which are only found in winter can keep you excited.
- Walk with snowshoes or cross country skis, two ways of walking in the snow that can make double the calorie burn. The sled also has, since lowering, before you have to go up!
- Go out and look at the shop windows. There will appear holiday gifts. You can also choose neighborhoods that offer more festive decorations.
- Follow the rule of 5. Say to yourself, you can stop after 5 minutes of walking. Is likely to have elapsed, you will want to move on, but if you want to stop, do it, did you at least something.
If you cannot leave
If the weather is bad or you have to care for a sick child, or perhaps you are expecting a call, I recommend you make an exercise routine at home may sound ridiculous, but you can walk around the room, listening to music, or to devote up and down stairs.
If you have a treadmill, or a mechanical device for exercise, take advantage. It can be the difference between gaining weight in the winter and keep your figure.
A dance routine or home exercise may also be useful.