This time we offer this Vegan Nutrition Pyramid that will be very useful as a guide to the foods that should shape our 100% vegetarian diet to make a correct nutrition.
Base of the pyramid is comprised of foods that should be equally the basis of our food (cereals) and should be consumed more often. While it may seem at first glance it is necessary to eat many foods, in fact, a simple slice of bread equals one serving and the recommended 6 days of cereals and several food products, which belong to two groups, getting the ingestion both nutrients at once, such as vegetables and calcium-rich foods (broccoli, spinach or other).
Group 1: Grains (6-11 servings)
Pasta, rice, bread, pastry, breakfast cereals, wheat, corn, oats, rye, quinoa, amaranth, spelt, millet, muesli, cous cous, etc..
What counts as a serving of cereal?
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 serving = 1 bowl of breakfast cereals
- 1 ration = 1 / 2 bowl of cooked grains: rice, pasta, etc.
Choose mainly whole grains. Some examples are brown rice, quinoa, oats, wheat, rye and whole grain cereals and breads.
Group 2: Vegetables (3 or more servings)
Spinach, cabbage, watercress, peppers, tomatoes, chard, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, asparagus, cabbage, etc.
What counts as a serving of vegetables?
- 1 / 2 cup of (120 ml) vegetable
- 1 cup of (240 ml) salad
- 3 / 4 cup of (180 ml) juice
Consume a wide variety of vegetables. Include raw vegetables every day. The green vegetables are good sources of folic acid and calcium.
Group 3: Fruits and Nuts (2 or more servings)
Oranges, apples, bananas, strawberries, kiwis, grapes, mangoes, avocados, pears, apricots, nectarines, plum, dried figs, raisins, etc.
What counts as a serving of fruit?
- 1 1/2 apple, banana, orange, pear
- 1/2 cup of (120 ml) fruit
- 3 / 4 cup of (180 ml) juice
- 1 / 4 cup of nuts
Consume a wide variety of fruits, including those rich in vitamin C. Citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwis, papayas, mangoes and other fruits are rich in vitamin C.
Group 4: foods high in calcium (6 to 8 servings)
Broccoli, spinach, fortified soy milk, tofu, vegetable margarine, orange juice fortified with calcium, dried figs, sesame tahini, molasses, etc.
What counts as a serving of foods rich in calcium?
- 1 / 2 cup (120 ml) of soy milk fortified
- 1 / 4 cup (60 ml) of enriched tofu
- 1 / 2 cup (120 ml) of orange juice enriched
- 1 / 4 cup of (60 ml) almond
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of (30 ml) sesame
- 1 cup (240 ml) of calcium-rich green vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, spinach, cabbage, watercress, etc..) cooked or 2 cups (480 ml) if they are raw
- 1 cup (240 ml) of calcium-rich vegetables
- 1 / 4 cup of (60 ml) dried seaweed
- 1 tablespoon of (15 ml) molasses
- 5 figs
Many of these foods are common to other groups (such as vegetables and legumes). Include calcium-rich foods at each meal.
Group 5: or alternative to vegetables, legumes (2 to 3 servings)
Chickpeas, lentils, soybeans, tempeh, tofu, beans of various kinds, peas, pistachios, almonds, peanuts, etc.
What counts as a serving of legumes?
- 1 cup (240 ml) of cooked vegetables
- 1 / 2 cup (120 ml) of tofu or tempeh
- 1 vegetable burger
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of hazelnut butter
- 1 / 4 cup (60 ml) of nuts and seeds
- 2 cups (480 ml) of soymilk
For maximum benefit, consume a wide variety of foods rich in protein. Consume vegetables or fruits rich in vitamin C with these foods increases iron absorption. Nuts and seeds provide vitamin E and minerals.
Group 6: Other essentials (1 to 2 servings)
Olive oil, sunflower, flax, walnuts, canola, B12-fortified products such as breakfast cereals, milk, juices, vegetable margarine, vegetable burgers, etc. B12 supplements in addition to omega-3.
What counts as a serving of fatty acids?
- 1 teaspoon of flax oil
- canola oil 3 tablespoons ( 45 ml)
- 4 walnuts
- 1 cup (240 ml) of soybean
Vitamin B12 fortified foods (breakfast cereals, milk, juices, etc.).. B12 supplement or fortified brewer's yeast in a medium rich in B12.
Pay attention to these important nutrients. The best source of Omega-3 for the vegan is flax oil. Use it in salads or with vegetables, potatoes or cereals. You can take a B12 supplement to ensure you get enough of a way.
- Consume a variety of certain foods from all groups, ensuring sufficient nutrients, phytochemicals and fiber, and making meals more interesting.
- Limit the use of saturated fats, oils, sugar and salt.
- Seek consuming whole grains rich in minerals.
- Use water to cook vegetables to make soups and creams, and exploiting minerals and vitamins.
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of fluid a day.
- Develop physical activity every day.
* This document is courtesy of ALA- Alternative for Animal Liberation. Published in the Bulletin of May 19, 2004
The best of Vegetarian
Products related with Vegan Nutrition Pyramid
Related categories of the Shop
You have not found what you were looking for?