Published: 07/10/2006 - Updated: 10/20/2018
Turmeric is a spice from India. For over 4000 years, it has been used in Asia as a flavoring, coloring and medicinal purposes. Here in the West, it is, in recent decades, the subject of many studies to confirm and explain its property. The active component of turmeric is curcumin, which also gives turmeric its distinctive yellow color.
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a herbaceous plant with evergreen that belongs to the family of ginger, it has some rhizomes or underground stems which are those used for centuries as a condiment, dye and stimulating medicine. This shrub can reach a meter in height in its development phase. Reproduction is made from the buds or fingers that emerge at the rhizome in the last year of growth and that give rise to a new plant. These rhizomes are best in hot and humid climates. It has yellowish white flowers and roots that may have a thickness of five to eight inches are very brown and wrinkled, if we open, they present in the interior an orange yellow color.
This is suitable for fish and egg dishes and with a rice. Indonesian prawn curry, rice in Madras (India) or the chicken curry and also for fish and shrimp kebabs. It is often used as a coloring substitute for saffron. Usually known as a component but with medicinal properties.
Asparagus and broccoli salad
Ingredients: (2-3 servings)
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1 bunch of radishes
- Leaves of green and red lettuce
- 6 Cherry type tomatoes
- 4-5 small ears of corn
- 1 carrot
- 2 strips of wakame seaweed soaked for 3-4 minutes, drained and chopped
- fresh basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise (can also be made of tofu)
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 1 dessert spoon of mustard
- 1 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- Cut the vegetables asparagus into three pieces, discarding the most hard and fibrous part, in broccoli cut small flowers, the radishes, in the middle, the small ears of corn, by half along, the carrot, like a flower.
- Boil vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, carrots and corn) for 3-4 minutes. Then draw and wash quickly with cold water and drain. Cover a large leaf of lettuce. Then add the boiled vegetables along with tomatoes, chopped wakame seaweed and radishes.
- Blend to mix the sauce ingredients, using a small amount of water, according to the desired consistency. Pour a little over the salad and decorate with mint leaves.
Breast with Mandrás Curry
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 medium onion cut into squares
- 3 tomatoes expert
- 1 red pepper green, clean into squares
- 2 green peppers
- 10gr of black pepper
- 40gr of butter
- 2 dried red chiles
- 15gr of cumin seed
- 15gr of coriander seeds
- 10gr of grain mustard
- 1 bay leaf / roasted and finely chopped
- 10gr of ginger powder
- turmeric powder 10gr
- 100gr of rice
- 1 pinch of saffron
- fresh cilantro
- Place in a mortar all spices including chilli without stem (if you want very spicy also includes seeds), grind everything, add the powdered ginger and turmeric mix well.
- Cut the breast into cubes, coat with the curry and leave 30 minutes resting. In a skillet place the butter, brown onion and chilli, add the breast and brown; add the tomato and a small glass of water. Bring to boil and lower the heat, season. Cook 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare steamed rice, flavored with saffron. Serve the curry rice and garnished by fresh chopped cilantro.
- 1/4 liter of water
- 1 kilo of potatoes
- 1 quarter of a liter of coconut milk
- 1 / 2 pound of fresh shrimp
- 1 / 4 pound of fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 tablespoons of tamarind concentrate
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 dried red peppers
- 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 chopped red peppers
- 2 green peppers chopped
- the white part of a stalk of lemon in blades
- 1 / 2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Peel prawns and remove the intestinal thread leaving the tail, cut pineapple and potato cubes put the pieces of potato in a saucepan, cover them with water and cook for 5 minutes and drain the oil in a hot wok add the spice paste (see below) and leave 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring continuously. Add the potato, pineapple, coconut milk and water and let boil until reduce heat, add the prawns and wait 5 minutes before add sugar, salt and tamarind pulp to soak in hot water essences of dried chili peppers until tender shrimp paste wrapped in foil and grilled, cook to 2 minutes on medium heat in a saucepan. Put cilantro seeds until fired flavor, mix the onion, garlic and once drained add dried red peppers, the shrimp paste, fresh peppers (red and green), coriander seeds, and lemon and mix all right to add nuts, turmeric and oil and mix until a fine paste.
- Serve with rice.
Baked turbot with mushrooms and garlic
- 2 kg of turbot
- 250 g. of mushrooms
- 450 g. of Onion
- 200 g. of Bacon
- 0.15 l. of Cream
- 10 garlic cloves
- 200 g. of Onion
- 1 tbsp. of turmeric
- 1 spoon of chopped chives
- Clean and thorn turbot, make rations, marking the end plate and bake. Put on a bed of coal (poach into julienne onions and more bacon cream) and sauteed mushrooms.
- Add a muslin garlic, tempura onion rings in turmeric and decorate the dish with preserved garlic and some finely chopped chives.