Published: 11/07/2008 - Updated: 11/29/2017
Without doubt, the biceps are the muscles that "demonstrate" the strength from anyone. A pair of muscles that is prominent, located in front of the arm connecting the shoulder to the elbow, and we use in almost any activity, from when we write to when we raise a child.
These muscles, when they are in optimal development, include a large portion of the entire arm. The detail to note is that very few people get success in their biceps training, due to "neglect" the correct form of exercise by using too much weight on exercises.
Here we propose some advices that will be useful to work biceps:
1. Concentration: One of the most recommended tips for working in an optimal way these muscles are small but significant concentration. Using this technique, you will be able to use heavier loads and maximize the tension placed on the muscles you work, because they are determinants to get significant gains.
2. Quality : Another very important point so your biceps routine is quality and always doing the first exercises that include the largest number of muscle fibers.
3. Knowledge : A third council for the same purpose is to know what you're doing when it comes to choosing an exercise to work your biceps, that is, knowing what muscles are involved in a given exercise. Knowing this is one of the most important steps to ensure the realization of good biceps routine.
Role and constitution of the biceps
Biceps is, as its name indicates, with the prefix "bi", is a muscle that has two heads: the long head and short head, each with a specific function.
Long head, also called external or biceps has the function to bend the elbow and actions contribute to the shoulder joint that involve raising the arm. It is a muscle that is small but very strong. This, when well developed, adds significant size and shape to the outer arm.
Internal short head, similarly helps bend the elbow and helps other actions in the shoulder joint, however its main function is to hand supine, i.e., put the palms facing up. It is the muscle that is in the upper arm with an elongated shape that certainly is very strong as well.
In order to train and define our biceps we must take into account the three positions of the hands are involved in the development of total biceps. These are grip, on which involves more to biceps to perform an elbow flexion. The grip supine, that causes more stress on the head long and allows you to use more overhead in the exercises. And finally, the neutral grip, which is characterized by the index finger pointing upward, which allows action to put more emphasis on the internal.
Routine for defining biceps
- Grab a dumbbell in each hand, keeping a relaxed grip.
- Choose a weight of less than 7 pounds. If you are a beginner, start with a weight between 1 and 2.5 kilos.
- Stand with back straight and abdominal muscles contracted. Feet are fully supported on the floor separated by a distance similar to the width of the shoulders.
- Hold the weights at your sides, leaving your arms relaxed and palms facing inward.
- Start on the left side. Turn your wrist so the palm faces the front.
- Turn up the weight slowly flexing the elbow. Keep the back straight, the shoulders relaxed and elbows close to torso.
- Raise the weight until your knuckles are a 9 or 10 inches of shoulder.
- Concentrate on contracting the biceps. Hold the position for 1 to 2 seconds.
- Lower the weight slowly to its original position and then turn your hands inward. Activity focuses on the area and relaxes the muscle completely.
* Repeat the exercise of the right side.
* The movement of each arm should last about 5 seconds. Do not let the speed do the work for you.
* While doing the exercise, hold the sword and the right shoulder in place.
* Performs among 1-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions each.
- This exercise can be done in a manner and location that you want, but please note that you must sit on the edge of a bench or exercise with your back against the wall. Follow the steps above and keep an upright posture.
- Increase weight of 0.75 grams to 1.5 kilos to challenge your stamina. Whenever you perform the exercise properly, the more weight will help you develop stronger biceps.
- To tone biceps without increasing its size, try using lighter weights and perform more repetitions.
- To gain muscle mass , the more weight and fewer repetitions.
- To gain force quickly , the weights rose slowly. This will allow your muscles to work more on the force at high speed.
- Some exercises targeting the back and chest also work for the biceps. A physical therapist or a licensed personal trainer can give you many more exercises.
Finally, please note that some toned biceps may remain hidden beneath a layer of fat. Thus, cardiovascular exercise will help you get rid of that excess fat. Perform cardiovascular activity at least 30 minutes three times a week.