This plant grows in arid and cold climates, but does not mean that it is in any way less nutritious. In fact, the cactus is a source of fibre, usually deficient in the modern diet, and contains 17 amino acids of which 8 are essential.
For skin, hair, and facial appearance, the cactus can be a natural and very useful alternative. Renowned for its nutritional properties, this plant has been consumed in recent years to combat cholesterol, being overweight and control blood glucose levels, however, its flesh hides secrets of beauty that can be very helpful.
The cactus can also help us to nourish our hair, you just need to cut some cactus leaves into small pieces and leave to soak in water, covering overnight to loosen the pulp. With the resulting pulp, apply a thick mask on your hair and leave on for as long as possible before rinsing off with warm water.
To show off more radiant and healthy hair, you can use the following recipe:
- 1 tender cactus
- 1 dash of almond oil
- In a blender, gather the ingredients and mix well. Before bathing, apply on hair and leave on for about 20 minutes.
- Proceed to wash your hair with the products you normally use, then use warm water to remove all products from the hair.
For oily skin
If you usually notice a distinct shiney appearance on your face or you are prone to oily skin, you can use the following astringent lotion made with cactus:
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALAromatherapy: Healing through smell
- 150 ml of rose water
- 3 capsules of cactus
- Place the rose water in a bowl and add the contents of the capsules. Mix well and store in a spray bottle. Let the formula concentrate for about 3 days.
- Spray on your face every night and clean. Its components are astringent, allowing the face to balance oils, control acne and shine.
Another effective way to get rid of excess oils and even combat acne is to use cactus pulp directly on your face. Cut a piece of cactus and take the slime that comes from the pulp, spreading gently on your skin. Leave on for 10 or 15 minutes and then remove with cold water. Later use a moisturiser suitable for oily skin.
The benefits of cactus along with the aloe vera plant are vast in skincare and natural beauty. In cases of acne, use the following mask:
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALVaricose veins: how to treat and prevent
- 1 piece of aloe vera
- 1 cactus stalk
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ lemon
- Blend the aloe vera and cactus evenly, add honey and lemon until the mixture is smooth.
- Apply to your face and leave on for around 20 minutes, then rinse off with warm water to remove.
Cactus for healthy skin
Cactus contains abundant mucilage and cellulose components resulting in emollients, which is why it can be used in a poultice on wounds, bruises and also act on irritated skin. In order to use it as a poultice, all you have to do is chop and mash the cactus and apply to the affected area.
Another way in which this plant can contribute to the health of the skin is by ingesting it. Drinking a glass of cactus juice with pineapple juice or the juice of two lemons with a little added honey. This helps to detoxify and cleanse your body from the inside, preventing and fighting acne.
About the author