This is an exotic plant that comes from Africa and has reached a long way to be part of the kitchen today. The Artichoke firstly gained popularity as a medicinal element which was sought to fight biliary problems. Little by little, it was being mostly consumed for medicinal purposes in the ancient world. It spread in countries like Spain, England and France, slowly leaving aside healing qualities and focusing on its taste.
But today we know that the artichoke is a plant that promotes bile production, important for digestion of fats, also known as an excellent diuretic; it helps against different digestive processes, promoting appetite and improving symptoms such as heartburn.
Artichoke is beneficial for people who suffer from a minor injury in the liver, but is also a famous purifier and detoxifier widely used as a supplement for weight loss. Some even claim it as a potent aphrodisiac.
But the advantages do not end here; As well as having many other qualities, it is an excellent culinary complement. A fine appearance and smooth and delicate flavor, it has charmed famous people such as Catherine de Medici and Henry II of France, along with many others. Today I invite you to include it in your day to day with delicious recipes that will benefit your health while you enjoy this delicate food.
Fried artichoke hearts
- 5 Artichoke Hearts
- 200 gr. of Manchego cheese
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup of Wheat flour
- Vegetable oil (sufficient amount)
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- Cut a small hole in the center (heart) to place some cheese.
- Roll the artichokes in wheat flour, covering very well.
- Whisk the egg and put the artichokes one by one through the egg and then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil, enough to cover the pan and fry the artichokes for a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Place on a cooling rack or paper towels.
- Serve with a dressing or ketchup.
- 4 Artichokes
- 3 Italian Sausages
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- ½ Onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp. of rosemary
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
- Olive Oil (sufficient amount)
- Clean and prepare the artichokes to fill them: you need to cut the top of the artichokes and discard, pass water with lemon juice to prevent oxidisation; remove the outer leaves until you reach the tenderest and brightest green leaves, with a spoon clean the center of the artichokes by removing the purple and fibrous parts. Cut the artichoke base and it is now ready to fill.
- Mince the garlic and onion finely, sauté in butter until caramelized.
- Add the Italian sausage and brown for a few minutes, seasoning with rosemary and salt and pepper if necessary.
- Fill artichokes, sprinkle with cheese, bread and some olive oil.
- Place in a deep bowl/recipient with a little water.
- Bake at 180°C for about an hour, in a covered pot until the artichokes are tender.
Pasta with artichokes and broccoli
- 300 gr. of Pasta ' spaghetti '
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1/2 Onion
- 6 Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. of Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper (sufficient amount)
- Cook the pasta in plenty of water with salt and pepper until "al dente".
- Drain and reserve.
- Chop the onion finely and chop the broccoli and artichoke.
- Sauté the onions and add the broccoli and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the artichokes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta, mix and add the cream.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
The best of Recipes with vegetables
Products related with The benefits of eating Artichokes
You have not found what you were looking for?