Tamarind is an acid fruit with sweet flavor when ripe, it is an excellent seasoning for dishes prepared especially for dressings and sauces, as well as juices and desserts. It contains magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, sulfur and is rich in vitamins like C, A and vitamin B3, and healthy sugars which provide energy and has a high fiber content.
Here are some recipes to take advantage if this tropical fruit:
(good for combating constipation, headache, hangover and cough)
- Ten grams of pulp per pint of water
- Boil water, add the pulp and boil 10 minutes. Turn off and set aside. Drink in the morning, warm.
Tamarind and shrimp soup
- 1 kg of fish heads
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 ½ julienne onion
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 3 full stalks of chives
- 15 grams of ginger
- 25 g of lemongrass
- 8 hot peppers (dried chillies)
- 300 g of tamarind
- 400 grams of clean shrimp
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, place oil and sugar, as the mixture gets very dark, incorporate fish heads, sauté until brown, then add julienne onion, chives and 2 cloves garlic.
- Put the chillies, lemon grass and ginger chopped, cover everything with enough water and salt and pepper, as this preparation boils, tamarind is incorporated in a single bar, not moving much for 15 minutes.
- After this time, remove the tamarind in a blender with some broth and liquefied, strain and pour it into the soup, as it has boiled 10 minutes, strain the entire preparation.
- The remaining stock is returned to the fire, correcting the flavors of ginger, pepper, sugar, and salt. Shrimps are incorporated without shells letting it boil for 1 minute.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 / 2 kilo of natural tamarind
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 6 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of sweet and sour sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Boil a liter of water.
- When the water is boiling, remove from heat and place the tamarind. Let soak for 1 hour.
- With a spoon scrape the pods to remove all the pulp.
- Pull the pods and seeds.
- In skillet, melt butter and fry the garlic until changes color.
- Add the tamarind pulp and the vegetable broth and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the honey, sweet and sour sauce, pepper and salt.
- Tamarind pulp, 3 kilos
- Water, 1 liter
- Brown sugar, 1 1/2 kilos
- Prepare tamarind in boiling water, stirring the liquid to facilitate dissolution. Filter through a cloth and add sugar, then a second boil, skimming well, and once the liquid cold, put in a bottle, after being seasoned with a few drops of essence of neroli or another at will.
- 100 g of tamarind pulp
- Brown sugar to taste
- 3 lemons
- 2 liters of water
- Peel and cook the tamarind in water.
- When ready reserve water, tamarind and blend bones along with the cooking water and sugar.
- Strain mixture into a pitcher with the remaining water and serve chilled.
Tamarindo Ice Cream
- 400 grams of tamarind pulp (no seeds)
- 4 liters of water
- Sugar to taste.
- The pulp is left soaking in water for 30 minutes. Then crush with your hands in water to release full flavor. When the flesh is pale, strain and add the sugar, stirring until it is diluted. Put in plastic medium cups and take to the freezer to freeze.
The best of Fruit recipes
You have not found what you were looking for?