Published: 07/22/2013 - Updated: 04/01/2017
There are a great diversity of vegetable milks which you can develop yourself, providing many good options that are an excellent substitute for cow's milk. They are not only great if you're vegan, but also for those who have an allergy to lactose as you can choose these milks as an easy and inexpensive way to replace it.
Mainly, they can be divided into two groups according to the product they are made from: Oils/Seeds and Cereals.
Milks from seeds and oils are almond, walnut, hazelnut and sesame milks, among others. Their main contributions to the body are fatty acids and calcium. Milks that are prepared from grains are characterised by providing vitamins and carbohydrates to a greater extent. Among them we can find oat and rice milk.
Each will contribute a different benefit, as each milk has particular properties that can serve for different preparations. Here we present simple and very tasty ways to use vegetable milks.
Banana and walnut milk Antioxidant Smoothie
- ½ cup of walnut milk
- 1 Banana
- 1 tsp of Sugar
- 2 Figs or dates
- ½ tsp. of Honey
- Blend all ingredients in the recipe.
- You can add ice if you want a thicker and more refreshing consistency.
- This is an excellent morning smoothie.
- 1 cup of Rice
- 2 cups of Water
- 3 Cups of Rice milk
- 1/3 cup of Sugar
- ½ tsp. of Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. of Salt
- 1 Tbsp. of Cornstarch
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Tbsp. of Vanilla
- 1/3 cup of Raisins
- Wash and drain the rice, place in a pan with water, salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Add the rice milk, cinnamon and sugar and cook over a medium heat. Stir to prevent sticking, cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch diluted in a little water.
- Cook until mixture begins to thicken.
Mash up a little banana and add to mixture. Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
- Serve with banana chips or fresh banana and some cinnamon.
Cream of potato with sesame milk
- 15 small potatoes or regular potatoes
- 1 tbsp. of Olive Oil
- 1 cup of Sesame milk
- 2 cups of Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. of Chopped chives
- 3 cups of Finely chopped celery
- ¼ Finely chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp. of Margarine
- 1 tbsp. of Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes.
- Sauté potatoes, celery, onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Strain and reserve the liquid.
- Blend or process with a cup of vegetable stock.
- Process until ingredients are well blended. Cook a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan, add flour and mix to form a dough.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until the sesame has thickened.
- Add the cream, season with salt and pepper. Decorate with chives and serve.
- 1 Egg
- 3 cups of Almond Milk
- ½ cup of Oats
- 1 cup of Wheat
- 1 tsp. of Baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of Chocolate chips
- ¼ cup of Sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Mix the sugar and oil until well blended.
- Add egg and beat again.
- Mix baking powder, salt, oats and flour in a bowl.
- Add the flour mixture gradually interspersed with almond milk.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and, with the help of a spoon, move the mixture onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes in an oven preheated to 180°C until edges are firm and lightly browned.
The best of Recipes & Cooking
Products related with Take advantage of vegetable milk to prepare delicious recipes
Related categories of the Shop
You have not found what you were looking for?