Although the steam room and sauna treatments are considered as two different, they both have very similar benefits that include stimulating circulation, sweating and eliminating toxins and impurities from the skin. The steam is conducted through the application of moist heat, which is generated in a special room saturated with vapor. The sauna, known as Turkish bath, is a beautiful alternative used since ancient times and was practiced in the East since the eighteenth century.
Do an "immersion" in clouds of steam is ideal for purifying the body's skin, you can use a special room or a vaporizer. The steam bath is known in oriental countries as the "hammam", which was practiced at all times like a sort of ritual. To the oriental culture, the "hammam" is the place that allows deep relaxation to forget about stress, obligations and concerns of all daily issues that stun the mind. It is a bath that purifies the mind as well; entering the Hammam is a journey of purification. In addition, the hammam is a place of delight, a meeting point for businessmen and friends. In another places, as in Mexico, a similar tradition is preserved but with the name of temazcalli (House of vapor). This bath was used by Mesoamerican cultures, and is still preserved in many areas.
Steam Bath Benefit:
- The steam dilates the pores of the skin, helping to promote perspiration and deep cleansing, removing dead cells that make skin look opaque, with no freshness and gaiety.
- It purifies, detoxifies and removes impurities such as blackheads.
- Returns the face freshness, smoothness and conviviality.
- It is a very effective remedy to relieve the airway and prevent colds.
- It is a useful resource for people with acne and psoriasis, especially in adolescents.
- Promotes good circulation, as the heat causes blood vessels to dilate. Good circulation is essential for overall health of the body, among other things, helps the hair to be well nourished.
- Help men to shave the skin as it smoothes and softens the skin.
- Helps reduce pre-menstrual cramps.
- Helps relax the nervous system and causes a feeling of comfort.
- The steam baths are also good for treating areas of the body injured in athletes, high temperature is projected onto the treatment area with a towel covering it later.
- Clears the airway, so it is an effective therapy used as an expectorant for bronchial asthma and chronic bronchitis.
- The plant-spray is another alternative that uses steam with certain combinations of herbs to fight off certain diseases. For example, spray with essential oil of tea tree oil on the skin can help reduce acne, pimples, sores, etc.
- It is an excellent muscle relaxant to help relieve sore muscles, helping in cases of arthritis to improve mobility of joints.
- Helps to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
The mask or steam bath is not suitable for those suffering from dermatitis or for those who have problems with vasodilation, abnormal pressure or varicose veins. Pregnant women also should refrain from this alternative.
How to get the most out of a steam bath?
Whether you go to a spa or do one spray in your house, you need to follow certain tips to have the best results.
- The main thing before exposing to steam is to clean your face with mineral water or give you a quick bath if you came to the sauna. This will improve the skin perspiration.
- Before (and after) taking a steam bath, drink a glass of water, vegetable juice, citrus or herbal tea.
- Do not take the steam bath with a full stomach or after eating. It is best to wait until your stomach is empty.
- Generally, a sauna bath is temperature controlled, with clouds of hot steam ranging between 35 and 60 ° C, The bath takes place in a special room completely closed and equipped with special materials to ensure the safety and durability.
- If you enter a sauna, you'll see that with a series of holes, the steam comes out. It is best to sit or lie down on a clean towel, not overdo it more than 10 minutes.
- During times that these in, it's best to relax and avoid exercising in the sauna.
- In the sweat lodges, the steam bath comes with a massage, full body clay, and steam is added herbs to promote a healthy environment.
- To complete the steam treatment is necessary to take a bath with cold water to seal up the pores of the skin.
- Apply a moisturizer after cold bathing. Aloe, honey and apple creams are great.
Places to find a good steam bath and costs
The sites, quality and costs are very varied: you can find them from the public baths even in hotels, spas, gymnasiums. Many offer alternatives such as massages, aromatherapy, etc. to supplement the treatment.