Published: 06/27/2011 - Updated: 09/16/2018
Lecithin is indeed a valuable food supplement. Since 1952, it was found that it significantly favored the healing of brain injury, and is now used with great effectiveness and success in cardiovascular and nervous system problems.
The name comes from the Greek Lekigos, which means egg yolk, the place where it was first found. Lecithin is a mixture of yellow-brown fatty substances; it is mainly composed of choline, fatty acids and phospholipids.
Lecithin can be found in all foods that contain cholesterol, in fish and soy. It is a food derived from soybeans and can usually be found in the form of granules, capsules or tablets.
Functions of lecithin
- Acts as an emulsifier of fat in veins, arteries and body in general.
- Provides easily digestible choline.
- Helps strengthen and nourish the nervous system (brain, nerves, etc.). Increases the intellect, improves memory (prevents Alzheimer's) by the presence of phosphorus, helps cognitive ability, combat insomnia and is effective for treating nervous system disorders as acetylcholine in the brain, produces natural chemicals used in nerve transmission.
- Helps fight premature cell aging.
- A very effective supplement in cases of mental and physical fatigue or when you are exhausted.
- Helps dissolve excess fat in the body.
- Cleans the liver, helps keep you healthy and keeps the fat in solution.
- Helps soften the arteries, prolong their life and prevent hardening, thus preventing atherosclerosis.
- Soy lecithin lowers elevated homocysteine plasma levels associated with risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Cleanses the kidneys.
- Prevents attacks.
Recommended for people with
- High cholesterol or triglycerides
- Cardiovascular problems of all kinds
- Hardening of veins or atherosclerosis
- Liver problems
- Improved athletic performance
- People who are overweight, obesity and others
- Prevents blood clots and gallstones
- Prevents and helps treat liver cirrhosis, hepatitis and cancer
Lecithin and obesity
Obesity has serious consequences in the cardiovascular system and other organ systems. Obesity can cause severe health problems such as hypertension, diabetes, liver problems, cardiovascular disease, lung and kidney disease, gout, tumor complications, etc. Being overweight is associated with increased risk of death.
Lecithin is a key component of the body's cells, found in higher concentrations in vital organs like the liver, kidneys, brain and heart. In the bile acts as a "cleaner" that dissolves the fat in digestion and absorption, and in blood, as we have seen, it helps control cholesterol, preventing the bad fat to stick in the artery walls and cause a great number of conditions.
Lecithin is a food supplement that helps efficiently to the burning of harmful fats in adipose tissue, as recommended in slimming diets. When the intake of lecithin is low, the body increases its bad cholesterol.
Recommended doses of lecithin
Doses can be obtained through food or by tablets or capsules. Supplements should be taken in moderation because sometimes its excess may cause diarrhea. In adults, it is recommended to take the dosage according to the package, or take a balanced diet which included the following foods:
Foods rich in lecithin
- Egg yolk
- Soybeans and its derivatives
- Black Lentils
- Whole grains
We recommend eating lecithin in the soy sprouts which, besides being rich in lecithin, contain many vitamins and minerals like calcium, vitamin A, C and B vitamins, niacin, iron, magnesium, etc.
Salad rich in lecithin
- 1 lettuce
- 1 large tomato
- 1 onion
- 2 boiled eggs
- Olive oil
- One tablespoon of sesame oil
- Wash and disinfect everything properly. Cut the onion into thin julienne strips or slices.
- Add the lettuce we have drained, incorporate the tomato pieces and onion.
- Garnish. Move well and keep adding ingredients. It is important to emphasize the importance of dressing order: first the salt, vinegar and, finally, the olive oil. Or introduce all the dressing ingredients in a dispenser and mix well.
- Cut egg in slices and incorporate. Garnish with olives and sesame.
- Enjoy the salad.