The vegetable meat of wheat gluten is called Seitan, which is found in the germ of the wheat kernel, being more vital and energetic. Wheat gluten is obtained by natural processes and which also contains traditionally tamari , kombu , and ginger. This meat plant of Chinese origin, has over 600 years of being consumed by the Japanese, who call also call it Kofu Kofu.
How do you get the Seitan?
This nutritious food is obtained from flour: wheat protein and starch is separated from the bran after kneading , washing and finally cook. It contains no saturated fat or cholesterol , thus helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and prevent the veins and capillaries having fat.
The Seitan is rich source of protein, contains significant amounts of iron , vitamin B2 and natural fats , contains much less protein than meat , less salt , less fat , more digestible and contains no cholesterol.
Ways to consume
This delicious and versatile vegetable meat is high in quality protein, and have a consistency and a very special taste can be used in various ways as a meat substitute. It is ideal in vegetarian diets , but if you eat meat , you should not abuse this food.
With it you can prepare:
- Vegetarian grill
This food makes good combination with:
- Vegetables of all kinds
- Soups , broths and stews
- Canapés and appetizers
- Stuffed with vegetables
Who to consume it?
Its great nutritional benefits make it an ideal food for anyone, from children to the elderly, for athletes it is formidable as it helps build muscles. However, it should be avoided by people intolerant to gluten ( celiac ) .
Where to find it?
In vegetarian stores or self service restaurants is common to find in vegetarian dishes prepared with wheat gluten. However, you can make your own seitan , it's really not very difficult, if you like the kitchen, here we tell you how .
How to prepare it?
- Knead the flour as if it were to make bread (ie water only) .
- Once ready , leave the dough in a bowl , cover with water for 45 minutes, then start to "wash" the dough into the water that immediately begin to turn white . That is a sign that the starch is shedding .
- When the water is pure white , roll and put clean water.
- Rinse until the water runs clear , which is a sign that only now we have the Seitan (gluten ) or wheat protein , known as wheat gluten.
- The resulting dough ball is divided into two or three pieces.
- Meanwhile boil a liter of water with a glass of soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic, and kombu seaweed .
- When boiling , add the seitan balls and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and leave to cool covered .
How do you keep it?
Once ready and cold, cut into slices or balls as preferred. They are stored in the refrigerator and will last three or four days, in the freezer last a month or even two. If you will keep in the fridge , do it in individual bags , so we open the bag with the portion that we consume .
- In some places or shops, they sell vegetarian pure flour for Seitan , which would save us the kneading process , soaking and " washing " of the dough. The rest of the procedure is the same.
Here we share a recipe with Seitan :
Serves : 4 people
- 400 gr. of Seitan
- 1 large onion
- 3 Carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 cup of white wine or beer
- Garlic and Laurel
- Cut the onion into half moons and brown in a deep pan, preferably earthenware , stirring constantly .
- Clean and cut the vegetables into pieces not too large .
- Put them in a saucepan with a little water or broth to prevent sticking , add the garlic and parsley ( according to taste ) and cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add the seitan cut into pieces and wine or beer.
- Cook 15 minutes and serve.
- Serve with salad. Enjoy!