Published: 04/25/2008 - Updated: 03/21/2014
The name of this nervous disorder comes from the sciatic nerve, the nerve and wider throughout the body. This nerve starts at various levels of the spine and its branches are joined to form a single nerve trunk. Its role in the body is transmitting nerve impulses to perform most of the movements of the entire body area.
This nerve extends into the knee and is divided into two small branches which continue to the foot. Its long way make the sciatic nerve particularly vulnerable to pressure or injury, caused when there are disruptions, particularly intense pain that begins in the lower back and extends through the buttocks, thighs and legs up to walk.
What causes this disorder?
Any damage, pressure, muscle spasm, pull back or flash-in that affects the sciatic nerve, can trigger sciatica, but in most cases, the problem is usually affected vertebral disc (or herniated intervertebral disc). Usually this disease is not dangerous, but the pain of the lumbar area of the back is a major cause of disability.
Sciatica (lumbago) is the inflammation and / or compression of the sciatic nerve. And to understand this can be imagined that the nerves are as a system of wires that descend from the brain through the interior of the spine. Vertebrae parts are perfectly articulated and arranged along the backbone of which is a gelatinous disc hidden by a fibrous network that serves as a buffer and prevents the wear of these parts.
When strain or weakness of the cells, this rip this network fibrous gelatin disc and comes out of place vertebrae and a compressed nervous "wire". This is one of the main causes of sciatica: what is known as a herniated disc.
Other reasons that cause this disorder are:
- The lack of magnesium, which is a mineral that strengthens and nourishes the nerves and muscle fibers.
- Lack of vitamin B complex, due to a inappropriate food accumulation of toxins in the joints, including uric acid.
- Feeling of pain (mild or sharp) in the lower back and that this extends to the leg.
- Feel this pain worsens the stretch, cough, sneeze or bend down
- A sudden onset of severe pain in the back.
- Muscle weakness may be restricted to the leg, buttocks.
- Tingling or numbness in the legs
- Loss of knee reflex nervous
- Sexual dysfunction
- Those who suffer often spend days or weeks with a kind of hardness or stiffness of movement. Have difficulty sitting or getting up and change in posture, effort or perform certain movements.
In most cases, this disorder is symptomatic and treated at home and in a conservative enviroment, using natural remedies, usually salves and ointments made from certain herbs to relieve pain and relax the nerve. Listed below are some of the herbs that can be used for this condition. .
The arnica relieves pain. Cajeput oil, lavender, juniper and rosemary can be used to relieve pain. These essential oils of aromatherapy can be combined with a good massage to give very favorable results. They can also be used with a diffuser or vaporizer to relax the patient. The hot baths are ideal essences. Just a few drops of each in the bathtub.
Herbs which are explained below can be taken either as tea or tincture.
The sauce: powerful natural analgesic component of aspirin. This is not the best alternative if the compressed because, unlike the second, taking plant in infusion does not damage the gastric mucosa.
If you want to drink from this plant, put to macerate overnight, 50 grs. Of bark in a liter of water. Then boil for 15 minutes and leave. Strain and take 3 cups per day, preferably after meals. Do not use this remedy in cases of pregnancy.
Ponytail: this plant is an excellent diuretic. Lowers swelling and clean the urinary tract and helps remove uric acid and other impurities that accumulate in the joints and the body, and it stimulates the activity of the immune system.
Follow the above procedure to make a medicinal drink, and take 3 cups of it per day. When
sciatica is a disorder and more serious, we need a surgery to remove the slipped disc or arthritic bony prominence, so as to relieve pressure on the nerve. In any case, it is always advisable to medical advice.
- Regular exercise to maintain muscle strength of the back and abdomen
- Keep your weight on your back for no charge or strive for more.
- When you exercise, do not overdo it by doing something if you have not done in some time. Go slowly.
- When lifting, bend your knees and try to upload from the bottom up straight instead of bending the hip.