Published: 02/16/2012 - Updated: 02/23/2018
Blossom honey is highly nutritious and has many properties, it can be prepared in a variety of dishes, from desserts and drinks to soups, stews, dressings, bakery, etc.
Blossom honey is produced by honey bees, the taste is unique and varied, as well as its properties, which depend on the flowers to which it belongs. Blossom honey is not only a great physical and mental energy (it is composed mainly of healthy carbohydrates), but has anti-inflammatory, digestive, healing and nourishing properties. It is rich in enzymes, amino acids, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
This honey is an ideal substitute for white sugar, which damages and degenerates the nervous system and causes the malfunction of certain organs and systems.
Usually, it is an amber syrup, either dark or light depending on the type of flowering. Today we find in the market blossom honey of rosemary, thyme, a thousand flowers, etc.
Here we share some delicious recipes with honey of flowers:
Cod with blossom honey
- 6 desalted cod loins
- 400 grams of peeled broad beans
- 80 grams of white leek
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 220 ml. of vegetable broth
- 15 grams of rosemary honey
- 10 g of Bovril
- A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground Jamaican pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the broad beans, although it seems a daunting task, won’t cost you much to peel if the soak for few minutes in boiling water and peel them later.
- Once peeled, separated 80 grams of beans by choosing the largest, the rest set aside. Peel and chop the leeks and put a little olive oil in a pan. Do it over low heat to achieve proper tender and begins to caramelize, then add garlic, peeled and rolled, and let it brown slightly, eventually incorporating the beans and add salt and freshly ground Jamaican pepper, sauté a minute and remove from heat.
- Put in the blender, the beans and 120 grams of broth. Blend until you get a light and fine cream, and taste if it needs salt or pepper.
- In a small pan put the rest of broth, honey, Bovril, a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and a sprig thyme and lemon and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, reduce until you get a thick sauce. Remove the thyme sprig and set aside.
- Cook grilled cod in a nonstick skillet with olive oil, cook the skin first, over high heat to toast and crisp, then flip over and cook the time you like.
- Mix peeled beans with warm beans cream.
- Serve cod in the dish and over it, three or four tablespoons of beans, pour the juice of honey and lemon thyme.
- 3 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour (420 grams)
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup of honey (250cc.)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten1 cup of milk(250cc. can be soy)
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of brandy (optional)
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Aside, mix the honey with the eggs, half the milk, oil and brandy.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients and mix until integrate them.
- If the texture of the dough is very thick, add the remaining milk.
- Bring the dough to the fridge for half an hour.
- Grease and put flour in two tube molds of 15 cm of diameter and 9 cm high. Pour the preparation into equal parts.
- Bring to a gentle oven for about an hour.
- Remove, let cool slightly, then unmold.
- Add some honey.
NOTE: can be stored in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap, for three months as the honey retains its moisture.
Honey dressing for salads
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of tomato sauce with a pinch of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of vinegar
- 1/3 cup of orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of grated onion
- Juice of half orange fresh and sweet
- 1 whole garlic clove
- Blend all ingredients except the garlic. Pour into a bowl.
- Rest 10 minutes and add the garlic.
- Remove the garlic clove before serving.
Can be stored in the refrigerator.
French toast with honey from flowers
- A loaf of bread
- A pint of milk
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- A lemon rind
- Three eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- A glass of rosemary honey
- Two glasses of water
- Cut the bread into slices about two inches wide. Dip them in hot milk with sugar and lemon rind and let stand a few minutes to soak it up. Mix the honey with water and cook for about five minutes to get syrup.
- Heat oil in large skillet, turn the bread slices in egg batter and fry until golden brown. Introduce them into the syrup as you get them from pan. Put them in the plate, sprinkle with cinnamon and cover with remaining syrup. You can add a sweet liqueur.
Sweets of dried fruits with blossom honey
- 50 grams of prunes and dried cranberries
- 50g of dried apricots
- 50g of seedless raisins
- 100g of ground walnuts
- 100g of honey from flowers
- Put plums, apricots and raisins soaked in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain them well, mix with half the walnuts and chop all ingredients in a blender or with a knife.
- After you have chopped fruits, put in a bowl and add them blossom honey, mixing well.
- Divide dough into small portions and with oiled hands, we form balls, cover with walnuts later.