Published: 08/18/2008 - Updated: 07/20/2017
Definitely, almonds are a food that should be present in any diet, especially in vegetarian and vegan diets. Almonds have a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid ) and contain considerable amounts of vitamin E (24 mg). Besides being very energy and a good source of fiber, are rich amounts of calcium, magnesium and protein: eating two almonds is equivalent to drinking a glass of milk. Almonds are an essential element to prevent heart disease and improve blood circulation.
They are basic in the Mediterranean diet, which is reputed to be a very healthy and balanced cuisine .
GENERAL COOKING TIP: If you buy the almonds with skin and want to easily peel them, put them a few minutes in a pan of boiling water, then drain in cold water. You will see that the shell comes off very easily.
Chard with Almonds and vegetarian ham
- 1 kg . of chard
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 onion
- The juice of three lemons
- 8 cl . of chicken stock ( 4 tablespoons )
- 6 cl . of lemon juice ( 3 tablespoons )
- 40 gr. of Butter
- 25 cl . of fresh cream
- Two thick slices of vegetarian ham and chopped
- 100 gr. of slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- Beets are cleaned very well and set aside.
- Remove wires of the leaves, wash well and cut into pieces about 5 cm .
- Get 2 liters of water in a saucepan.
- In a cup, dissolve tablespoons of flour in a little water and pour into the pot .
- Season with salt and boil .
- Add a splash of lemon and boil the leaves in the water , during 30 minutes.
- Brown almonds in a nonstick skillet .
- When the leaves are cooked , drain and reserve the broth. Pass to a large skillet.
- Add the sliced onions , and then the broth , a splash of lemon and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper. Put the lid and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate with heat.
- Wash well the green leaves of the chard. Chop and sauté in a pan with some diced onion and diced vegetarian ham . Allow to warm .
- Beat an egg in a bowl and put in the same green chard.
- Mix well and make balls with your hands , like meatloaf , draining well the egg.
- Put in flour and fry in hot oil, joining the rest of the dish .
- Sprinkle flour on the whole and mixed.
- Add the cream gradually , stirring gently.
- Allow to warm a few minutes, without allowing it to boil . Try and add salt and almonds.
- Mix everything and move to a warm platter, sprinkle chopped parsley on top .
Almond Cream with port wine
- 500 gr. of cheese
- 100 gr. of brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 tbsp. of port
- 100 gr. of raisins
- 250 gr. of heavy cream
- 100 gr. of almond
- Beat the cream cheese with the sugar and lemon zest.
- Incorporate the egg yolks, one by one, the port wine and raisins.
- While cooling the cream.
- Whip the cream and add it to firm cream port.
- Serve in bowls with sliced almonds on top.
- 1 bread
- 1 liter of milk
- Brown sugar to taste
- 200 g . of raw almonds
- 100 g. of marzipan
- Heat the milk with crumbled bread and sugar.
- Chop almonds and marzipan .
- Mix it with milk.
- Serve in individual molds with cinnamon on top .
- Allow to cool and ready to serve.
Chocolate and almond cake
- 180 gr. of wheat flour
- ½ sachet of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 170 gr. of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of soy milk
- 150 gr. of butter
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 75 gr. of grated black chocolate
- 50 gr. of slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 º C.
- Put the sugar in the cup and spray it with a whisk
- With mixer ( blender ) , put the butterfly in the blades and mix the eggs with the sugar.
- Beat for 5 minutes at speed 3 or until mixture is foamy .
- Then slow down and go adding 1 ½ gradually flour and melted butter ( cream or ointment ) .
- Mix about 10 seconds. Incorporate yeast and mix thoroughly few seconds at the same speed .
- Divide this dough into two equal parts.
- In a diluted cocoa, incorporate milk and grated chocolate in the other put slivered almonds .
- Spread with butter and flour lightly a special mold.
- Pour the two alternating dough. Cook in the oven for about 50 minutes , if you see it is browning too much cover with foil.
- Check if the cake is cooked by pricking it with a knife, to remove it must be dry . Let cool before unmolding.
Rice with almonds
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 50 gr. of Almond
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of rice
- Peel and cut into very thin slices, diced carrot and onion.
- Put in a pan 3 tablespoons of olive oil , onion , carrots and almonds.
- Put a little salt and pepper.
- When the carrot is already squishy we add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon .
- Sauté about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add 2 ½ cups of water and salt it .
- We hope to cook over high heat until dry .
- Serve with a sprig of rosemary as a presentation .