Published: 07/30/2008 - Updated: 05/25/2019
Wheat is a food rich in carbohydrates that brings a lot of energy. Its rich in fiber making it ideal to treat constipation or diverticula, it is ideal for nervous people or period of study for their contribution in vitamin B. It has high content of lignans (phytoestrogens), reduces the chance of developing cancer of the breast, uterus or prostate. Wheat has antioxidant properties and is a good source of selenium and vitamin E to protect our cells against free radicals. Wheat is very patched in heart disease because of its richness in vitamin E, which helps cholesterol from oxidizing and blocking the arteries.
Cup of cereals and nuts (dessert, breakfast)
- 100 gr. of wheat flakes
- 50 gr. of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of grated coconut
- 4 dried apricots
- 2 prunes
- 3 tablespoons of sesame
- 4 tablespoons of raisins
- One liter of yogurt flavor you prefer
- a liter of buttermilk prepared with honey
- fresh cut fruits like mango , apple , but , etcetera
- Mix wheat flakes and oats in a bowl.
- Soak prunes, apricots and raisins for 15 minutes in warm water.
- Drain and cut into small pieces (plums and apricots) and mix with cereals .
- Add raisins and coconut.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with a few tablespoons of yogurt or buttermilk prepared .
Whole Wheat Salad
- 500 g. of wheat grain
- 1 medium onion
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 bunch of parsley
- jalapeno pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- Thoroughly wash the wheat and place in a container to be filled with water to cover.
- Soak the wheat overnight in this water.
- The next day slip perfectly.
- Put oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic.
- Pour the wheat and stir until oil is impregnated perfectly.
- Put water to wheat until it exceeds by approximately one cup of water and cook.
- When the water drops the boil, lower the heat of the stove and let the pot covered for 1 hour and a half (until all the water is absorbed, or until the wheat is tender but still whole, whichever occurs first) .
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into small squares and put to soak in lemon juice, perfectly washed tomatoes including skin, remove the seeds and juice, and also split into squares.
- Chop parsley perfectly. When using chili, these are broken into pieces.
- If liquid has been reserved in wheat, drain well and put in a bowl to cool.
- Once cool, add the onion (with lemon juice), tomato, parsley and chili.
- Add additional lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste.
Buckwheat with artichokes
- 3 onions
- 4 artichokes
- Oil and salt
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup of buckwheat
- 1 handful of basil
- Put the onion cut into half moons to fry in a pan. When it is browned we add the artichokes cut.
- Add the buckwheat, water, salt and basil. Let it boil half an hour.
- We can serve well or passed through the mixer or blender.
NOTE: Buckwheat is native to the Siberian steppe, where it is cold. It gives much vitality and warm the body.
Tomatoes topped with wheat
- 6 small tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons of wheat germ
- Two cups of cheese to gratin
- Olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in half and put in an oiled grill.
- Top each tomato with a mixture composed of parsley, garlic and wheat germ.
- Add salt and a little oil. Insert it in the oven for 13 min. (medium oven).
- Top with cheese and put in oven 2 minutes. Serve hot .
Wheat and chayote pancakes
- Half a kilo of wheat
- fresh serrano chile (optional)
- One large or two small squash steamed
- Medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- One cup of chopped parsley and soaked
- Soak the wheat overnight, the next day is cooked with water 4 parts water to the amount of wheat that is soaking.
- Grind wheat in a blender with the squash, making sure it has some water.
- When left loose paste is added to the dough parsley chopped onion salt, chilli, breadcrumbs. Make a compact paste, if too watery add bread crumbs, if too thick add a splash of milk or water.
- Make pancakes the size of the palm and fry in the pan with hot oil.
- Serve with any salad. These pancakes are rich, economic and especially nutritious and taste like chicken.
Wheat and milk soup
- 1 tablespoon of wheat
- 1 1/ 2 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of brown sugar
- Some vegetables to taste diced
- Buttermilk to taste
- Soak wheat in soak overnight.
- The next day, cook in water and salt.
- Once cooked, drain, mix with milk and sugar.
- Boil all together with the vegetables for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a little buttermilk over.