Published: 04/16/2012 - Updated: 07/20/2017
The spleen is an important organ in digestion of food and has a close relationship with the body's defense system. Some of its main functions are to transform food and nutrients, to destroy old red blood cells and it is part of the lymphatic system, plus it is a key site for the deposit of iron. Inside, it contains a considerable portion of platelets and macrophages available to pass into the bloodstream when necessary.
When the spleen works badly, symptoms such as dry and pale lips, digestive disorders, fatigue, anorexia, decreased resistance, fluid retention, edema, diarrhea, bleeding, heavy periods and strong desire for sweets may appear.
Nutritious foods and herbs for the spleen
Lettuce, whole grains, fruits and citric acid, pumpkin, apple, papaya, chia, yeast, millet, brown rice, oats and Dandelion.
Here are some recipes to keep your spleen healthy:
Pomegranate and lettuce salad
- A romaine lettuce
- A pomegranate
- Half cup of water
- Olive oil extra-virgin
- Sea Salt
- Tamari sauce to taste
- Half a lemon
- Take all the grains of pomegranate and place in a bowl. Wash and chop the lettuce and add it to the pomegranate.
- Then, season with the remaining dressing ingredients and a little water.
Cookies with raisins and oats
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- ½ cup raisins
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. of baking powder
- Lemon or orange zest
- Beat butter, sugar and egg yolks until creamy. Then add the flour and baking powder.
- When the mixture is almost ready, add the oats, lemon zest and raisins.
- Beat the egg whites separately and mix the dough until blended well.
- Shape the cookie dough and place on a greased pan with butter.
- Put the cookies in a preheated oven at 200 ° C. for 25 minutes.
Zucchini with corn and tomato
- 6 diced and tender zucchini .
- 1 Yellow Corn.
- 1/2 chopped onion.
- 1 large tomato, diced.
- 1 teaspoon of chicken broth powder.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil extra virgin.
- Boil zucchini and corn, but avoid overcooking to conserve nutrients.
- Add onion, tomatoes, broth powder, oil and salt to simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot and sprinkle a little cheese.
Apple Oatmeal Smoothie
- A glass of soy milk
- 3 tablespoons of uncooked oatmeal
- An apple peeled, cored (heart).
- Honey to taste
- Chia (optional)
Blend all ingredients and drinks without strain, excellent for breakfast.
- A glass of orange juice
- A lemon squeezed
- A spoonful of oatmeal
Blend everything and drink in the morning.