Folic acid is important in the daily diet, is involved along with vitamin B12 in many of the processes taking place in our body. During pregnancy it is especially important because it is crucial for the formation of the fetal nervous system; its deficiency could affect poor development or malformation of the unborn baby. Diets rich in folic acid are also recommended for people suffering from depression, atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, gingivitis, depression, anemia, insomnia, irritability, partial memory loss, poor appetite, fatigue, etc.
You can find high concentrations of folic acid in foods like: green leafy vegetables (alfalfa, spinach, chard, parsley, cilantro, etc.), oranges, cabbage, raw vegetables and whole grains.
These recipes are also delicious and are rich in folic acid.
- 10 tablespoons of ground flax
- 10 tablespoons of ground wheat bran
- 200 ml of double cream
- 100 ml of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar to taste
- Mix cream, oil, lemon zest, cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add bran with ground flax to mixing bowl. Stir well and when it starts to get thick, knead by hand.
- The dough is rolled on the table and cut with cookie molds or with a glass.
- Place the cookies on greased baking sheet or special paper and bake at 200 º for 30 minutes or less.
- When done, before we take off, let cool the plate. NOTE: You can make chocolate flavor by adding black chocolate powder or grated cheese to taste the dough instead of putting the essence of lemon.
Vegetable soup with wheat germ
- 3 cups of diced pumpkin squash
- A bunch of spinach, thoroughly washed and disinfected
- 1 leek
- 3 or 4 Brussels sprouts
- 1 piece of wakame seaweed kid
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of wheat germ
- grated fresh ginger
- Cut the vegetables into medium pieces, incorporating the algae and are taken to a stainless steel or clay pot and covered with sufficient water. When the vegetables are tender, leave warm and blend to form a cream.
- If necessary, add more water. Boil again with sea salt added to taste. At the time of serving you add fresh ginger juice to each plate and a spoon of the wheat germ.
- 500g of whole meal flour
- Oat bran 200g
- 4 tablespoons of corn oil
- 1 tsp of salt and one of brown sugar
- 300cc of warm water
- 25 g of fresh yeast or 10 g of dry yeast
- Put yeast in warm water and let it foam, apart, put in a bowl the flour with oat bran, salt, sugar and integrate well all dry ingredients.
- When yeast foams, integrate to the previous preparation, add 4 tbsp of oil, knead well to form a bun, which is left to rest until double in size. Once leavened, knead it again and give form to bread, a rectangle, roll and place in a mold or previously oiled baking sheet.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180 º C) until golden.
- A handful of small spinach
- One cup of celery cut
- 100 grams of shredded chicken breast or vegetarian ham
- 4 mushrooms
- Sheets of tofu
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- The juice of two or three lemons
- Wash spinach well and take the tenderest leaves.
- Sauté the ham or chicken breast over low heat with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon and soy sauce.
- Thoroughly wash the mushrooms. Cut mushrooms into slices and place in the source above the spinach. Place the pieces of ham on top.
- Place the sheets of tofu over the spinach, mushrooms and bits of ham or chicken breast. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour over olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Chard and tomato sauce pancakes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ onion cut
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 bunches of small spinach, clean and chopped
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of chicken or vegetable broth
- Oil for frying
- 400 g of clean green tomatoes
- ¼ piece of onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup of cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- For pancakes, heat oil and fry the onion, add garlic and spinach, let it cook for 3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Mix chard with flour and egg soup, heat oil in a pan and take small portions of the chard mixture and fry them.
- Drain on absorbent paper and reserve.
- For sauce, liquefy tomatoes with the other 4 ingredients, heat oil and fry the sauce, let cook until boil.
- Offer your pancakes with the sauce and served with white rice.
About the author