Colitis (or irritable bowel syndrome) is inflammation of the lining of the colon, which is located in the end zone of the large intestine that connects to the rectum. It seems to be an increasingly common disease, whose symptoms can include diarrhea, abdominal pain and swelling, nausea, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite and weight, etc.
Colitis may originate because of tension, anxiety and prolonged and constant states of stress.
Recommended foods for a person with colitis are:
- Foods rich in folic acid (vitamin B9) and green leafy vegetables (alfalfa, spinach, chard, parsley, cilantro, algae.) As well as oranges, cabbages, etc.
- Foods rich in zinc.
- Flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil.
- Fresh fruits such as apples, lemons, oranges and berries, which are ideal for the intestines.
- Fresh Vegetables.
- Whole grains.
Foods not recommended:
- Sugar, white flour and refined products.
- Dairy products of animal origin.
- Fried and processed.
- Low consumption of animal fats.
Special recipes for people with colitis:
Mint and tomato Soup
- 600 g of tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 8 slices of day-old bread
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 and 1 / 2 l of water
- 1 green pepper
- A couple of sprigs of mint
- Sea salt
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes. Also peel the garlic and onion, chopping all very fine. Remove seeds from green pepper and chop well. Put oil in a clay pot to the fire and a sauce made with garlic, onions, peppers and tomatoes.
- Gently fry everything and add the water. Boil for 15 minutes. Now add the bread and the mint, leaving to a boil. Finally add salt to taste and serve.
- 1 can of tuna (in olive oil, because you can use the oil as well)
- 1 can of red pepper (we also use the liquid)
- 1 can of peas
- pitted olives (1 bag)
- pre-soaked brown rice (a handful per person)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- In a pan, incorporate the contents of the can of tuna (oil too), red pepper, cut up into strips (the liquid too), peas, add olives into rings.
- We'll let the ingredients are browned a little, then add water and when it starts to boil, add the stock cube, and a handful of rice per person. When we see that the water returns to boil, add or drop of vinegar.
- I believe that the grace of this soup is in the vinegar, and the contrast of the other flavors.
Lettuce, tofu and tomato salad
- 1 lettuce, washed
- 4 medium tomatoes, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 slice of hard tofu (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley or watercress
- 1 tablespoon of chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 7 slices of whole wheat bread
- extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop lettuce into thin strips and put it in a source in the center put the diced tofu and diced tomatoes. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and sprinkle with basil.
- Apart spread the slices with olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and capers and finally garnish with grated egg.
- Place the slices around the salad.
Steamed zucchini with tofu
- 5 chambray zucchinis
- 3 tomatoes (tomato red)
- 1 / 2 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 soft shelled corn
- 1 / 4 kg. of hard tofu
- 3 tablespoons of cream optional
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 sprig of epazote large
- Salt to taste
- Cut raw zucchini, diced small, the same with the tomatoes and chop the onion and garlic. In a pan, add oil, drop the zucchini, tomato, onion, garlic, raw and shelled corn, epazote and salt together in a vegetable broth. Cook gently, not much.
- Serve over zucchini with tofu.
Vegetarian Chop Suey
- 200 g of bean sprouts
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, sweet
- 1 whole scallion
- 100 g of dried mushrooms soaked
- Bamboo sprouts
- 3 thin slices of fresh ginger
- Soy sauce
- vegetable broth, as needed
- In a saucepan, bring vegetable spray and lower the flame add the pepper, celery, the scallion, ginger and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Gradually, add the soaked and drained mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add the bean sprouts.
- Stir with a wooden spoon. Pour a little more broth and cook for 20 minutes or until the casserole acquire the desired consistency.