Puff pastry is one of the ingredients used to prepare desserts and pies due not only to the nice texture and flavor, but to its great versatility and nobility to adapt to virtually all flavors of fruits, meats and vegetables. Puff pastry is basic to elaborate pies, tarts, pastry basis, etc.
How to do puff pastry
There are many ways to prepare the puff pastry. Here's a simple way and also some recipes to use it.
- 1 kg offlourof strength
- 800 gr. of puff pastry butter
- Some sea salt
- 4dl. of water
- Take 300 grams of flour and knead with the butter and let it soften smooth, but giving the final form of a block, similar to what we had before kneading.
- On the other hand, put the rest of flour (700 grams) on the bench as a volcano, inside, add the water and salt, stir the liquid and gradually mix the flour, always starting from the center. Form a ball of dough that has the same consistency of butter kneaded with flour.
- Cut a cross over the dough and let rest in a cool place for at least half an hour. To avoid drying out, it may be covered with a clean, slightly damp cloth. After the set time, add flour to work table again and put the ball of dough, sprinkle with flour the surface and stretch to half an inch (approximately) thick.
- In the center of this dough we put the butter. And close to the dough as a "package" ensuring that the creases are equally. Using roller, extend the dough from the center to one side and the center to another. Stretch always rectangular.
- Once stretched to the thickness specified, it is folded into three equal parts, one side to the center and the other toward the center also mounted on the first. Let stand 15 minutes. Flour the table again, place the dough, sprinkle flour over and begin to stretch, repeat the same operation. Let stand other 15 minutes and back to stretch, and when we now have the thickness of 1 inch will double in book form, calculate the center, then fold one side toward the middle and give another fold to the center of the pasture. With the other half, perform the same operation.
- Let stand for half an hour. Every half hour, repeat a simple and a double fold, leaving the margins. Finished this and may stretch to the thickness required for expected utility. Note: This puff pastry can have complications if you don’t have some care and skill, as you are required to fold very good, this requires that the bench is always perfectly clean and then floured. The same happens with the roller.
- Before folding the dough, remove excess flour from the dough with a brush.
Asparagus puff pastry tart
- Puff pastry
- 12 thick asparagus
- 100 grams of vegetarian ham
- 4 eggs
- 300 grams of cream
- Strip the hardest part of the asparagus. Boil in salted water for about six minutes (depending on the thickness of the same). Remove and drain well.
- Spread the puff pastry and place on a mold, making a rim. Stuff it and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Stretch the dough with a rolling pin, sprinkling with a little flour to prevent sticking. Put in a mold and then bake until golden.
Spinach puff pastry
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1 package of spinach (400 gr)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 cans of tuna
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 Bechamel sauce
- 1 / 2 liter of milk
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Boil spinach with a piece of vegetable stock, drain and fry in a pan with oil and garlic.
- Spread the puff pastry, shape and place in the oven according to the required time, until golden.
- Mix spinach with drained tuna and fill the pastry with the sliced hard-boiled eggs. Finally put in the oven. You can put grated cheese to the bechamel gratin to taste.
Strawberry puff pastry
- Pastry sheet
- 1 / 2 kg of strawberries
- 2 cups of strawberry yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Spread the pastry and cut into circles, place on greased baking sheet with butter before, cook until golden brown. When cool, remove from pan and reserve.
- Clean and cut the strawberries into cubes, put in a bowl with sugar, let them sit until they release the juice.
- Place in the dessert plates, a circle of puff pastry, a spoonful of yogurt and finally the strawberries.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 12 circles of 15 cm of puff pastry
- 2 bunches of spinach (green leaf)
- 200 ml of natural yogurt
- 100 grams of shredded cheese
- 48 small raisins seeded
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 egg for painting
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Wash spinach leaves and cut into thin strips. Put in a pot and let tenderize stirring constantly, we should not cook at all. Put aside. Squeeze to take out as much water as possible.
- Allow raisins to soak in boiling water about 15 minutes.
- Mix in a bowl the spinach, yogurt, cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stretch puff pastry circles to 5 cm in diameter with the help of rolling pin and some flour.
- Form snacks with 2 tablespoons of filling and 4 raisins in each: remember to wet the edges with a little water and close to shape, a little below the top.
- Arrange in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Brush with beaten egg and garnish with sesame seeds.
Soy Sausages Tart
Ingredients for 8 servings
- 1 egg
- 100 cc of skim milk
- 6 soy sausages
- 1 piece of cheese (200 gr)
- 1 large leek
- 2 large onions
- A sheet of puff pastry
- A little oil
- Ground pepper
- Dehydrated Garlic
- Chop the onion and leek and sauté in a pan with cooking spray or salt and a teaspoon of oil until slightly transparent. If it is necessary, keep adding water little by little.
- In a bowl, beat egg with milk and place the cheese cut into small cubes. Once warm, add the sautéed onion and leek. Season to taste. Mix well.
- Turn on the oven and leave to moderate temperature (halfway between the maximum and minimum of the oven)
- Spray pie plate with cooking spray and place the pie dough. Pour the contents of the bowl, sprinkle well with a spatula. Cut the sliced soy sausages and place the slices on top of the cake forming concentric circles.
- Place in moderate oven for approximately 30'' or until golden.
- Once ready, if it is too inflated for the cheese, pierce with a fork to release air.
About the author