Published: 01/12/2011 - Updated: 02/14/2018
Most women who exceeded 35 and even 40 years, and become pregnant, have no problem as long as they are healthy. If any problems arise, they can be treated easily and effectively.
Until very recently, pregnancy after age 30 was considered somewhat risky, however, today this is no longer something to be afraid of because of not only the great advances in obstetrics and gynecology, but the consciousness that many women have to take care of the diet and health, the practice of exercise and conscious diet create stronger and healthier bodies, making women fit to conceive children completely healthy and safe between 30 or 40 years.
Having a baby after 35 or 40 years can be a very different experience than having a baby at 20, not only the body suffers pregnancy differently, but the emotional issue and maturity of women can positively influence this time. Here we give you the advantages, some recommendations and special care if you are pregnant or planning having a baby after 35.
Advantages of being a mom after 35 or 40
- The woman is usually much more mature emotionally, if it’s the first-time, the experience can be much more enjoyable and rewarding that when pregnancy occurs at 20 or 30.
- If the woman has had children previously and has been in charge of their education, it will be filled with vast experience to guide and enjoy the new son.
- If it is an unexpected pregnancy, you can make decisions with your partner (if you have it) with much more awareness.
Pregnancy After 35 or 40 in healthy women
If you are a really healthy woman, you should follow the recommendations given to pregnant women with good health:
- Maintain a high quality diet by avoiding junk food, fried sausages. Moderate consumption of refined sugar and bread, as these products are the main causes of excess weight, they are not appropriate during pregnancy, especially if you have more than 35, because your body is more prone to accumulate fat and other conditions such as diabetes, etc.
- Avoid stretch marks: every woman should keep the skin well hydrated and nourished to prevent stretch marks, but at this age you should put a little bit more attention and care as your skin needs more moisture and nutrients. Apply daily aloe, honey, cucumber, apple or rosehip gel or cream in your belly to keep it well polished. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants (such as carrots, oranges, broccoli, grapes, cherries, goji berries, green tea, etc.) to help the skin stretch gently and avoid breaking it easily.
- Keep an exercise program suitable for each stage of your pregnancy, gentle stretching, swimming and walking are the best exercises for this moment.
- There are some problems that may occur to any healthy pregnant woman, emphasized a little more at this age. These problems include high blood pressure, spontaneous abortion, premature labor or a cesarean, etc.
- At this age, you are more likely to be able to have twins.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- If you are taking herbal supplements, always check that is not contraindicated for pregnant women, as some herbs are not suitable for pregnant women, such as epazote, verbena, parsley, fennel and rue. The best plants and herbal remedies at this time are chamomile, rosemary, peppermint and sage.
- Remember to include in your diet foods high in folic acid, iron, vitamin C, A and E.
- Consumption of nuts, seeds, vegetables, whole grains (such as amaranth, tapioca, oats, etc.) and nutritional supplements such as spirulina, yeast, etc. is highly recommended at this time.
- Visit your doctor every month to effectively monitor your pregnancy, to address any complications that arise, and to make some necessary prenatal testing. Do not hesitate to consult your doctor if you have any pain or unusual symptoms.
- Look at all you can enjoy during your pregnancy, do not make extra efforts and to keep a calm and harmonious emotional energy, if you feel tense or anxious, take a chamomile tea with honey and lemon or take a break.
Pregnancy after 35 in unhealthy women
You should have a healthy body and mind if you are planning on having a baby. However, if you're pregnant and you have a medical condition, here are some recommendations:
Each organism is different and responds in different ways, it is best to consult a health professional that can guide you effectively during your pregnancy, or help you remove any impediments to getting pregnant.
It is very important to keep, whatever it is your condition, a proper diet, and avoid refined sugar, bread, sausages, fried junk food and irritants.
Infertility at 35
If you cannot get pregnant and you have 35 or more, it is important to take care of your diet more carefully and consult your doctor as soon as possible, because fertility is weakened as the years pass, especially if you have health problems.
Many women who can’t become pregnant have tried artificial insemination to achieve pregnancy. This technique may result in multiple births among mothers of 35 years.