Oily skin is characterized by excessive accumulation of sebum or oil on the surface of the skin, which causes a pronounced sheen on the skin and a series of imbalances that can lead to other skin conditions.
Characteristics of this skin type
The characteristics of this skin type are:
- The skin is thicker
- It feels oily when you touch it
- Shiny appearance due to the overproduction of sebum
- Frequent appearance of pimples or skin rashes
- May have black spots or acne
Oily skin tends to be common in young people due to hormonal changes that occur during this phase. However, adults also tend to suffer from oily skin.
Causes of oily skin
The main causes that generate oily skin are:
- A careless diet with foods of low quality and low intake of raw vegetables and nutritious food. The consumption of junk food, fried foods, saturated fats, etc. fosters the emergence of an oily skin.
- Anxiety and stress: this is one of the deeper causes of oily skin and acne, rashes, spots, etc. Why do stress and anxiety generate oily skin? Because when you're tense, the muscles under the skin contract, blocking the pores and preventing the secretion of natural oils by sebaceous glands. If the pore is closed due to stress, fat will build up below and we will have an outbreak, acne or pimple, which is only stored fat that cannot flow through the pores. Adolescents and young people are often tense when they are growing because of all the changes, and that is why acne is usually accentuated.
- The frequent irritation at something or someone also can make the face very tense.
- The hormonal changes and heredity.
- Lack of proper sleep (insomnia, not sleeping at least 8 hours a day).
Things to avoid
Many people believe that cleaning your face regularly with anti-fat products or soaps helps eliminate fat. However, as the skin needs oil to stay healthy, the constant cleaning with soaps just cause that the sebaceous glands produce more fat, accentuating the problem. Washing your face too often is not desirable as this will activate the secretion of fat.
It is always best to deal with this problem from the root since fighting the symptom does not help to cure the real cause.
How to solve it
DIET: You should take a diet high in raw vegetables, salads, juices, etc. It is necessary to eliminate junk food, with saturated fats, red meats, sugar and refined flour that only clog the intestine and don’t allow proper absorption of nutrients and oils that nourish and level the ph of the skin. The most suitable foods for you are all orange vegetables like carrots, papaya, orange, peach, etc., which are rich in vitamin A. The alga spirulina, brewer's yeast and the extra virgin olive oil are recommended to keep the skin well nourished. You must drink at least 2 liters of pure water per day to maintain good wetting of the skin and its pH level.
REDUCE STRESS: It is necessary to reduce stress by practicing exercises like yoga or tai-chi. The facials are great to loosen the muscles of the face, but also read and learn new ways of dealing with problems and new situations that we face.
EXFOLIATING: Exfoliation of the skin is without doubt one of the best ways to maintain healthy skin. For oily skin, nothing better than the application of green clay in the face, which in addition to leveling the ph level, helps cell regeneration and relaxes the skin, allowing the pores to relax and allow the smooth flow of oil. Usually, when one applies clay green, greasy face has more outbreaks. This is because the fat under pore which began to flow when the pore got relaxed has to get out. The situation may seem worst but you must continue to apply the clay mask until the skin restores its health and balance. Another natural mask for oily skin is granulated oatmeal. Oily skin should be exfoliated once a week, and you should apply masks with ingredients that help to regulate fat.
After exfoliating, use herbal creams, aloe cream, honey and cucumber are highly recommended for oily skin.
Fruit and herbal remedies for oily skin:
Oats and lavender: mix in a container one tablespoon of granulated oats, a tablespoon of warm water, half tablespoon of lavender and pure honey. Wash your face with this mixture like soap and wash. Apply rose water at the endl.
Oatmeal, papaya and honey mask: crush a slice of fresh papaya and mix with two tablespoons of natural yogurt with no sugar and a tablespoon of granulated oatmeal. Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix well. Spread generously on your face and leave it on for twenty minutes. Wash your face.
Herbal Astringent for oily skin: Mix half a cup of water with half cup of vodka, quarter of witch hazel, a teaspoon of sage, yarrow, chamomile, rosemary, mint and strawberry leaf. Let marinate for a week in a bottle tightly sealed in a cool and dark place. After these days, strain and apply with cotton on the skin after bathing. Do not wash, let dry on your skin. The product may last up to six months in good condition, keep it in a cool, dark place.
Sage and mint water: add one teaspoon of sage and one of mint to 4 ounces of witch hazel. Let stand for two or three days and then apply with cotton on your skin once a day. Store in dark, dry place, can last several weeks.
About the author