Published: 09/16/2008 - Updated: 05/25/2016
Author: K. Laura Garcés G1 Comments
It is a food with high nutritional benefits, ideal for children and for celiac (gluten intolerant people ). Corn contains large amounts of fiber that aids digestion, preventing constipation and lowers cholesterol. It is rich in Beta-carotene and B vitamins, particularly B1, B3 and B9, which act to the nervous system.
Corn can be used in grain, flour, in germ, etc., and is the basis for many Mexican dishes, it is the base ingredient for the famous tortilla, with which they make tacos (folded tortilla filled with a stew) and a variety of dishes like that.
The traditional tortilla
- 1 cup of organic cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of cold water.
- 1 teaspoon of flour.
- Salt to taste .
- 1 drops of lemon (optional ) .
- Mix all ingredients until a dough very well integrated .
- Make this dough into balls of the size of golf balls or a small lemon.
- Cut a plastic the size of a sheet of letter size paper, and put the ball of dough on one side.
- Cover with the other end of the ball of corn plastic. Pass over a roller , so that the ball will " crush " and becomes a thin circular dough.
- Put this tortilla in the hot pan (no oil) , a time each side (not browning or frying or allowed to make stiff , only give a slight pass to make it warm and flexible) .
- At this tortilla you can add the stew of your choice in the middle , then fold it and have in your hands the famous taco , when you put cheese is called quesadilla.
Guacamole and tofu tacos
- 20 tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados
- A sprig of parsley finely chopped
- The juice of three lemons
- Medium onion, finely chopped
- A cup of crumbled tofu
- Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients except tortillas in a container .
- Mix well .
- When ready the guacamole, spread on tortilla.
- Sprinkle over some tofu
- Fold tortilla and eat. This dish is very nutritious and delicious, in addition to easy to do.
Baked rice with vegetarian ham and corn
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 3 cups of pre-washed rice
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese or tofu
- 1 pound of vegetarian ham .
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALTofu Recipes
- Sauté diced onion in butter.
- Add the ham , corn , peas , pepper and finally the rice.
- Add the vegetable broth and allow rice to dry a little.
- Pour into a baking dish greased with margarine.
- Sprinkle Parmesan or crumbled tofu .
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 º.
- When the rice is dry and cooked , remove and serve hot.
The Mexican Fajitas
- 1/2 kg of precooked vegetarian meat or chicken breast cut into strips .
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thick julienne
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thick julienne
- 1 yellow bell pepper , julienned
- 1/2 kg of onion cut into julienne
- 5 chambray onions cut into julienne
- 250 g of mushrooms
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- Cheese (optional )
- 20 flour or corn tortillas ( or you like)
- Fry the onion until transparent.
- Add vegetarian meat or chicken, salt , pepper and fry the onion for a while , until it all season well .
- Add the peppers and leave a few minutes while the peppers are cooked too .
- Fry tortillas with a little juice of stew.
- Place them in the broad to serve and , above them, the proportion of the stew to serve and eat.
- At the end , put the mushrooms and some cheese on top to melt .
- Serve with sauce , and guacamole or pico de gallo. If you like , you can add a little sour cream .
- Serve warm . It is a delight .
- 24 small tortillas
- lard or corn oil
- 2 cups of vegetarian meat or equivalent cooked chicken , cut into pieces
For the sauce
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALAzukis Recipes
- 15 seeded guajillo chiles
- 1 pinch of cumin ( to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tomatoes of roasted red
- 1/4 onion
For the filling
- 400 g of crumbled fresh cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- Cream (optional )
- 1/2 onion into rings
- Slices of pickled jalapenos
- 1 romaine lettuce , well washed , dried and chopped
- Potatoes and steamed carrots and diced (optional )
- Take veins of chilies , soak in hot water , grind the roasted tomatoes , onion and garlic.
- Blend all ingredients and pass through a sieve.
Prepare the enchiladas
- In the sauce are passed one by one the frying tortillas on a comal for enchiladas (with domed center ) gradually putting butter.
- Remove, leaving the fat drains and fill with grated cheese and chopped onions .
- Bend forming the enchiladas that are placed on a platter.
- Vegetarian meat or chicken cooked and cut into pieces and chopped potatoes are passed where fried butter enchiladas and placed as a garnish for the enchiladas that are covered with shredded cheese , carrots , and onions rings garnish with lettuce leaves.
- Serve immediately. You can add hot sauce or pickled jalapenos .
About the author
Oh thanks so much for the wonderful recipes!! I definitely love eating traditional Mexican food, however I do feel like a lot of it is corn based, and not really very well rounded, as far as fresh fruits and vegetables are concerned. I love Mexican food, but I always have to balance it with a healthy portion of greens.