Published: 07/09/2009 - Updated: 12/17/2016
Massage can have very different purposes and applied at different ages. However, massage for kids has among its goals to increase the deep emotional bond between parents and children, because there is no doubt that physical contact is essential for proper growth and development of children.
A massage can be applied soon after the baby is born and during the first years of the development, and you do not need to be an expert or an expert, just have a good intention to do so and know very simple things like the benefits, that despite feeling a bit tired or bewildered by the work that involves, you will see every day on time enthusiastic way and willingness to give a good massage.
Benefits of massage for kids:
- Early stimulation of body movements (locomotor system).
- Activating the blood circulation to your whole body, which helps to oxygenate the body.
- Welfare mood in the small child
- Establishes a close and deep relationship with your baby.
- Helps to have an early awareness of the body.
- Stimulation of pleasant sensations.
- Psychomotor system stimulation.
- Strengthen your muscles.
- It will help you relax and relieve stress.
Types of massage for children
If something can boast at present is the large number of proposals in a matter of massage and alternative health for baby and toddlers. There is a wide variety of massages, and as we said, you do not need be an expert, but as in everything, the more you know the more you can help your baby. Here are some techniques to give you an idea of where you would like to apply to your baby:
Methods for massage:
- The method of butterfly wing: very soft, especially suitable for newborns. This method is derived from the bioenergetic therapy.
- Indonesian Massage: This massage is especially suitable for children or babies of four months, since the massage is applied in a stronger and more rhythmic way.
- Games and stories on the skin: This type of massage physical contact is accompanied by narratives stories. This type of massage is extremely effective in helping the babies from a very early age to develop their attention, their imagination and creativity. In addition, this massage is to develop the basic principles of language.
- Therapeutic Massage: This type of massage is indicated for children with some deficiency or condition. In this case, it is recommended the guidance and instruction from a professional.
Massage for babies of three months and beyond:
Here are a type of massage very easy to implement and which you must follow to the letter instructions as the massage is really something enjoyable and beneficial for your baby.
Pressure and patience
Before you begin, you need to know how much pressure you should put into the massage. For this, put your fingers on the eyelids and gently massage eyes. This way you will know the level of pressure that you must print the body of your little baby. It is very important that if you perceive in a hurry or impatient time, try to relax or suspend the massage when you find a more appropriate time. Never give your baby a massage on a bad mood or in a hurry, they should always feel your patience and tenderness.
In small areas like the cheeks, fingers or feet, use your fingertips to gently press and in the larger areas like the back, forearms and legs, use your hands to massage. The movements must always be slow and rather cherished.
Before you start giving the massage, lubricate your baby's skin with some oil, so it is recommended to massage when the baby just dip, so that can enjoy massage even more. Use soft oil used as grape seed or that are special for this step.
Face: use the tips of your fingers, very gently, you can start down the cheeks using circular movements, do so slowly and gently on the forehead and low on the nose and reach the mouth, you must cherish practically without leaving the circular motion. Then, down to the chin and continue until neck with you reach the arms.
Arms: pressure should be with your index finger and thumb; the thumb will support and move the index finger gently pressing in a circular motion. You can start at the shoulder area and go down gradually until you get to the wrist and hands. In the palm of your hands, make a circular pressure with both fingers, which move across the palm of your hand, turning off when needed to each finger. Finally, let your child press their hands with your thumbs and close and open the arms like a butterfly. Then up and down, without pulling too much and then down. You can toggle quickly up one arm while the other low.
Back: in the back you can use the palm of your hand and lightly press in a circular motion. When you are massaging the back is necessary that the baby is face down on a firm surface. It is most likely to lift the head, let down a bit, is very beneficial for strengthening the neck and back.
Legs: the massage is done with the palm of the hand which will slide gently with circular motions. Reach the feet and tighten gently caring to go through all their fingers. Then, flex the knees and gently press the thighs against the body.
Do not forget, prior to each massage, wash your hands very well, and if you want, add a bit of music like Bach or Mozart for good environments.
We recommend you read: Massage for babies and toddlers, from Gunter Zenz, Ed Edaf