Published: 01/29/2011 - Updated: 06/21/2016
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
Lymphocyte is a type of leukocyte (white blood cell), smaller than others, and which represent 24 to 32% of the total in the peripheral blood. The lymphocyte function is basically the charge of the body's immunity, i.e., act as a kind of defense in the body against harmful or damaging things, destroying abnormal cells, and recognizing, creating and responding to specific antigens with a antibody (An antigen is a molecule capable of producing an adaptive immune response by activating lymphocytes).
What is lymphocytosis?
When we talk about lymphocytosis, there is an alteration in normal levels of lymphocytes in the blood, which occurs when the normal number of lymphocytes in the body exceeds 4×109/l (taking into account that sometimes can reach higher levels).
It should be noted that in children the absolute value of lymphocytes is higher (5-7×109/l in the first year) for what is considered lymphocytosis when the count is greater than 9×109/l.
This condition is also known as "the kissing disease" for its transmission. EBV infects B cells that tend to proliferate.
There are two types of lymphocytosis: the polyclonal and monoclonal.
Monoclonal lymphocytosis reflects primarily a proliferative disease wherein the number of lymphocytes increased due to a defect in lymphoid cells. On the other hand, polyclonal lymphocytosis becomes an inflammatory or infectious problem.
Causes of monoclonal lymphocytosis:
- Lymphoid tumors.
- Acute and chronic lymphocytic leukemia or prolymphocytic leukemia, hairy cell leukemia, lymphomas with leukemic expression, large granular lymphocyte leukemia.
- The two most common causes of mononucleosis are Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV).
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is the most common cause of lymphocytosis over 10×1010 / l. It is the most common type of leukemia in adults.
Causes of reactive or polyclonal lymphocytosis:
- Acute viral infections such as mononuclear syndromes, hepatitis, rubella virus, herpes simplex, malaria and varicella-zoster virus, adenovirus
- Other infections such as toxoplasma, Bordetella pertussis, Rickettsia
- Excessive stress
- Septic shock, acute heart failure, surgery, etc
- Drugs and pharmaceuticals
- Hyposplenism / splenectomy
- Chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases
- Poisoning with certain substances such as lead, benzene, etc., Metabolic disorders (diabetic or uremic acidosis), and some treatments with vitamin B12 (folic acid)
- Fever and atypical lymphocytes in blood (greater than 10% of the total lymphocyte)
- General malaise
Natural Treatment of lymphocytosis
The first and most important thing is to differentiate whether it is a benign (reactive to infection, usually viral) or a malignant problem. You can use this information as medication guide.
In either case, you should consider the following:
- Diet: One of the cornerstones of health is in the diet, and in this case, it is essential to begin a deep healing diet with quality. You must eliminate all those products which impede, undermine or disrupt the functions of the immune and nervous system, and include foods that help the immune system. Foods that should be excluded from the diet are all sugar and white flour or refined, fried meat and cow's milk and derivatives. You should start a purifying diet, where vegetables, seeds, whole grains and fruits are the staple diet. You have to drink enough water, at least two liters per day, and take products and foods that nourish the body and promote the efficient removal of toxins and harmful agents such as spirulina, pollen, royal jelly, flax, garlic, onion, vegetable oil and milk, etc.
- Reduce stress and tension: is also essential, since they generate significant wear, imbalance and fatigue in the immune system. We recommend activities to help and encourage emotional balance and help relieve pent-up emotions that create great inner tension. The practice of yoga, swimming, tai chi, Ki-gong, gymnastics, etc., are activities that help relax the body's general systems and facilitate their smooth operation.
- Alternative therapies: help to promote harmony and health in the body by pressure massage or stimulation of certain parts of the body. Acupuncture, bioenergetics, reflexology massage and some medicine can greatly support the body functions more efficiently.
- The practice of a philosophy of life: it is essential to fully heal not only the body but the spirit and the mind. Ayurveda or Macrobiotics may be an alternative to help us balance and reorganize lives in a deeper, happy and healthy level.
About the author