Have you ever wonder how do you know if you are obese, or have only overweight? Well a simple formula that can get us out of doubt is the Body Mass Index (BMI) or Quetelet index.
The BMI is a measure that relates a person's weight to height, and provides a value that can be interpreted according to rank, to diagnose our nutritional status.
Even though it is not the only tool, it gives us a good idea of ??what is currently happen in our body.
Calculate your BMI
All you need is to know your weight and height, the formula is:
BMI = weight (kg) / height squared (M)
Excessively low percentage (malnutrition):
Men: less than 10
Women: under 15
Men: Between 10 and 15
Women: Between 15 and 20
Men: Between 15 and 20
Women between 20 and 30
High values ??(overweight):
Men: Between 20 and 25
Women between 30 and 35
Very high values ??(obesity):
Men: Between 25 and 30
Women: Between 35 and 40
Excessively high values:
Men: Over 30
Women: Greater than 40
Normal BMI: You are in the right way to maintain an excellent quality of life and prevent the development of disease such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
If your results indicate a high BMI, this means that you suffer from overweight or are obese. Start an exercise routine to gradually reduce your fat percentage. It is best to walk 20 minutes a day at least three times a week, and at a speed that allows you to talk while you are doing the exercise.
Establish healthy habits:
- Establishing normal mealtimes.
- Eat breakfast every day.
- Control the size of your portions.
- Eat three meals and two snacks.
- Include foods from all groups at each meal
- A basic rule to remember is that only one meal a day can be big and complete, the other four should be medium or light.
- Avoid fasting more than 5 hours between meals.
- Take at least 20 minutes to eat your food in each meal.
- Have dinner at least two hours before bedtime.
- Reduce your intake of sugar, which is not essential in our diet, so you can eradicate it, and eat fresh fruit instead or other carbohydrate sources like whole grains.
- 80% of beverages that you drink should be pure water or fruit water.
- To control your hunger between meals, eat snacks with vegetables and stay well hydrated.
- Start each meal with a salad and eat less of other dishes.
- Moderate consumption of dressings and avoid frying foods.
- Include brightly colored fruits and vegetables and preferably raw.
- Include whole grains in your diet.
Watch your weight
If you discover you have an overweight, it's time to start the goal, and take advantage of the resources that you have to do it. Visit nutritionist regularly to monitor your progress.
I recommend you to avoid general and quick diets, as these only cause us to fall into the endless vicious circle of weight gain and loss.
It is best that you seek appropriate guidance to get a individualized diet, appropriate to fill your energy needs and your personal tastes.