Published: 05/27/2008 - Updated: 05/31/2016
Honey is mainly composed of 16 types of sugar being the main levulose (fructose) and dextrose (glucose). These pre-digested sugars (that come and act quickly in the body) are the reason that honey is listed as one of the most energetic, nutritious and rich food in the world. Due to its high energy and its ease of digestion is a particularly valuable food for the elderly and children over one year.
In its composition there are different acids and enzymes, although no protein and amino acids, containing a high percentage of minerals and vitamins and, in some instances, amino acids, depending on their nutritional properties depending on the region where the honey is collected. It may contain B vitamins, including riboflavin, pantothenic acid, niacin, thiamine, and pyridoxine . The darker honeys contain more vitamins than lighter, and are also carriers of minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Here we share delicious ways to enjoy this nutritious food, which, when combined with certain foods high in protein and fat, it is a very complete food.
Yield: 5 to 6
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- 1 small can of condensed milk
- 3 sizes of whole milk with a can of condensed milk
- 150 g of sugar (preferably brown )
- A few drops of lemon
- 150 g of fresh cheese
- 12 nuts
- Make a caramel with the sugar and lemon drops and bathe it inside the molds and let cool.
- Open eggs, separating the whites, until stiff mount them strong and set aside.
- In a bowl mix with a spoon yolks, honey, and the two types of milk.
- Add egg whites and mix with a rubber spatula by outflanking. Fill the molds with this mixture.
- Put half a cup of water in the bottom of the pot and place on the tripod covered with aluminum molds. Close the pan and set over high heat. As the two rings rise, lower the heat and cook four minutes. Turn off and let cool five minutes.
- Open the pot, remove the molds and let stand. Garnish with nuts after unmolding.
Greek Cake of cheese and honey
Yield: 6 servings
- 125 grams of wheat or buckwheat flour
- brown sugar 4 tablespoons melted
- 50 g of butter
- 2 tablespoons of ice water
- 250 grams of cottage cheese
- 150 ml of whipped cream
- 75 grams of honey
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Sift flour with salt, add 1 tablespoon sugar and pour melted butter for a texture similar to the breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water to make a dough ball.
- Knead briefly with the palms of the hand and then wrap it in foil and let it harden for 30 minutes.
- Once hard, smooth dough with a roller and place in a detachable base mold.
- Beat the ricotta with the cream and add the remaining sugar, honey, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Beat eggs separately and mix with the other ingredients, pour everything into the pan over the dough and place in a preheated oven at 180 º C for 40-50 minutes.
- The cake can be eaten hot while swollen and soft, or cold when its consistency is similar to the current cheesecake.
Honey Pudding ( Argentina )
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups of honey
- 1 cup of malt coffee
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 cup of orange juice
- Lemon zest
- Vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of superfine flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a little rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- Almonds and seedless raisins
- Beat eggs until smooth, add honey and mix well.
- Add oil, orange juice, soda dissolved in alcohol and perfumed with vanilla and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, sift the flour with the starch and slowly add the liquid preparation.
- Finally add the almonds and raisins, place in a pudding mold. Bake one hour.
Pita with honey and orange cake
Yield: 4 cupcakes
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of water
- 1 glass of whiskey
- 8 pieces of pita bread
- orange custard
- One cup of butter
- brown sugar
- Half a glass of orange juice with three tablespoons of honey dissolved
- Cherries ( fresh or canned )
- We introduce honey into a saucepan and heat until it is tender. Water is added, whiskey and given back.
- Bathe with this syrup pita bread that has been done before.
- Beat butter in a saucepan with the orange juice, honey and three tablespoons of brown sugar.
- When this well beaten add butter, spread to 4 pita breads.
- Cover the loaves that were not smeared with butter, pita bread buttered.
- Once ready this cake, spread to cover with honey and orange butter.
- Garnish with cherries and some syrup.
Lemon pudding with honey
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 150 gr. of honey
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 liter of milk
- 1 tablespoon of cornmeal
- Wash lemons, grate and squeeze the juice.
- Put the juice and zest in a saucepan for bath.
- Add the butter, beaten eggs and honey. Stir well to mix.
- Place the saucepan over boiling water and heat.
- Pour the hot milk and cook the flour dissolved, stirring.