The salads, which are highly nutritious, are a dish that can be consumed both in hot and in the cold season. The difference is in the ingredients used and the particular flavor that is given in each period. Christmas Salads use ingredients like nuts, cream, pine nuts, dried fruit, olives, peanuts, bittersweet sauces, cherries and seasonal ingredients in every place in the world. In a good Christmas table there should always be a salad, so we offer six prescriptions for you to choose the one that best suits you.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 chicken breast cooked and finely shredded (or its equivalent in vegetarian meat)
- 2 cups of white potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
- 1 cup of white sweet potato, peeled, diced and cooked
- 2 eggs boiled
- 1 cup of chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup of yogurt naturally firm
- 3 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground white pepper.
- 1 cup of white asparagus
- Mix chicken, potatoes, potatoes and eggs. It is important that the ingredients are still warm when you add the yogurt, mayonnaise, salt and white pepper.
- Stir everything well and allow to cool, then incorporate the chives.
- Cut the asparagus into pieces and spread the tips to decorate. Add asparagus to the salad and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, place in a bowl and garnish with asparagus tips.
OPTIONS: This salad can be done without the chicken, it is important that all the ingredients you add are white.
Christmas ham salad
- 12 thin slices of ham, or vegetarian ham
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 onion
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- Chopped nuts for garnish (optional)
- Boil the eggs in a saucepan for 10 minutes until firm.
- They are placed in a bowl of very cold water to cool.
- Peel avocados and cut them in half. Remove the bone and cut into slices.
- Place the boiled eggs (cold), chopped onion, oil and vinegar in a bowl and mix with a mini blender.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Place ham slices on a platter and chose to put avocado slices in the center.
- Put the sauce. Garnish with a little paprika and a sprig of parsley and chopped walnuts.
Typical Christmas salad
Yield: 4 people.
- 2 lettuce heads
- 2 endive (escarole smooth variety, also called Brussels chicory)
- 1 apple
- 1 tomato
- 75 grams of fresh cheese
- Dried figs
For chestnut sauce:
- 100 gr. of Chestnut
- 1 apple
- 1 dash of Calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the lettuce and cut into strips, wash endive and leave the whole leaves. Cut the cheese, tomato and diced apple.
- Prepare the chestnut cream. Cook the chestnuts and peel them through the food mill. Likewise with the apple (cook and go through the food mill). Mix the chestnut puree and apple, add the calvados and a little salt and pepper. You can add a little more of calvados or water with a teaspoon of sugar (to taste) if the sauce will be very thick, while adjusting its sweetness.
- Prepare a salad source as follows: a bottom base with lettuce, tomato, cheese and apple. Chicory may surround the fountain for decoration. On top of the chicory, place nuts and a little cheese. In the center, above the base, place to taste chopped almonds, raisins, chopped dried figs very small, or even other nuts.
- Season all with chestnut sauce and apple.
Good night salad
Serves: 8 people
- 4 beets cooked medium, peeled and cut into cubes 1/2 inch.
- 2 medium jicama, peeled and cut into cubes 1/2 inch.
- 3 oranges peeled, cut into thin slices (half moon).
- 4 cups of orange juice.
- 1/2 cup of peanuts (groundnuts) cleaned and roasted.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
- Mix in a bowl the orange juice with the sugar and set aside.
- Prepare the salad on a platter spread, first put a layer of beets, jicama and soon one of another of oranges, continue alternating layers until you finish putting an orange.
- Refrigerate until serving time and before bringing to the table shower the salad with orange juice and sprinkle peanuts on top.
Spanish cabbage salad
Yield: 6 people.
- 1 cored cabbage (also known as purple cabbage or cabbage).
- 2 tomatoes for salad.
- 1 onion.
- 1 green pepper.
- 2 eggs cooked.
- 50 g of pickles.
- 2 tablespoons of capers.
- Olive oil.
- Wash and dry cabbage. Cut into pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, green pepper and boiled eggs, all chopped regularly. Season everything.
- Cut the pickles into very tiny pieces and add to the bowl along with the capers.
- Prepare the sauce with 12 tablespoons of olive oil 6 tablespoons of vinegar and salt. Mix all ingredients.
- Serve on individual plates with a sprig of parsley or dill on top.
Apple salad (Mexican)
- 6 apples, peeled.
- A can of pineapple in syrup and peach.
- A kilo of sour cream
- Two cups of chopped walnuts
- A cup of amaranth in pop
- Brown sugar to taste
- Chop the apples, peaches and pineapples in very small cubes.
- Stir in the cream, sugar.
- Garnish with nuts.
About the author