It is well known the healing power and the invaluable properties of zucchini and broccoli. Currently, they have become indispensable in our daily diet. Zucchini, also called Chinese-squash, has many benefits; it’s great diuretic and high in vitamin C, you can eat it daily without fear of gaining weight. In the case of broccoli, the scientific community recognizes its preventive action on cancer, especially in the ovaries, prostate and colon.
Other Zucchini’s properties:
- They are rich in folic acid, so they are necessary for cell division, formation of DNA, RNA and proteins in the body. 100 grams of this vegetable provides approximately 100 mg of vitamin C, which is recommended to ingest 400 mg every day.
- High in fiber, very suitable for those suffering from constipation.
- Low in calories. Provides 15 calories per 100 grams of product, because it is composed by 95% water. That’s why it has diuretic properties and its low in fat content.
- Antispasmodic properties, zucchini is highly recommended to treat stomach cramps and diarrhea situations.
- It provides our body of beta carotene, which is transformed into vitamin A.
- Traditional Chinese medicine recommends it to treat eye inflammations and myopia.
- It plays an important role protecting against lung, stomach, mouth, ovary, breast, vagina, colon and prostate cancers.
- Rich in anti-cancer substances such as glucosinolates, beta carotene and vitamin C.
- It is an excellent source of iron and beta carotene, so prevents anemia.
If you have not tried these delicious vegetables, you can include the on a salad, a delicious stew or soup, as you will learn below.
Preparation time: 15 min
Total cooking time: 30 min
- 40 grams of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup of cream
- 1/3 cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, pour the onion, cover the pan and let cook in its own juice and simmer for 5 minutes, until soft but without allowing it to get brown. Add the zucchini slices, cover the pan again and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the flour into the pan and stir constantly over low heat for 1 minute until smooth. Stir in broth and milk in small portions at first, stirring. Add thyme and raise the heat to the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, let cool until you can blend it in small portions in a blender. Put back into pot, heat it slowly and add the cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot but not boiling. Season to taste. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and bread, if desired.
Broccoli Soup with Parmesan
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- A pinch of red pepper
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 5 small red potatoes
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices of crusty bread
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot and add onion, a clove of garlic and red pepper. Add broth, potatoes and broccoli to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring the soup to blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and rub with olive oil and garlic.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Cover each bowl with a slice of bread and then the Parmesan cheese.
The best of Recipes & Cooking
Products related with Healthy Zucchini and Broccoli soups
Related categories of the Shop
You have not found what you were looking for?