Even though this is not a serious health problem, seborrhea is a cosmetic problem for many people. Seborrhea is a condition that occurs in the skin where sebaceous glands work disturbed or unbalanced, increasing secretion of fat. Sebum serves to swell and lubricate skin and hair, and with sweat or water, the skin forms a surface layer which has the function of protecting it from external aggressions, bacteria, infections, etc.
Why can we have seborrhea problems?
Seborrhea usually occurs in areas of the skin where sebaceous glands work as the scalp, face, chest and upper back.
Symptoms of seborrhea:
- The skin has a more intense glow.
- The skin and hair feel oily.
- The hair looks without volume and it looks like cuttings when seborrhea is strong.
- There is usually increased sweating of the skin.
- There may be itching or peeling of the skin frequently.
- Usually occurs when there is acne, folliculitis, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, male pattern of baldness, etc., or patients with neurological diseases like Parkinson's and lethargic encephalitis.
- Seborrhea could foster an environment for fungal or bacterial infections in the skin.
Causes of seborrhea
- Hormones: the skin sebum is stimulated by androgens (male hormones) and inhibited by estrogen (female hormones).
- Using soaps, makeup or skin products of poor quality, very irritating soaps or skin drying products.
- Emotions: Emotional factors such as anxiety, stress, nervousness, etc.., a powerful influence in this condition. When we are relaxed, the pores of our skin are relaxed and open to receive nutrients, fats, fluids, etc. in a balanced way. When we are nervous, anxious, worried, etc., our skin pores close and impede the passage of these elements, fat accumulates under the skin and the surface is dry, then there are instructions to generate more sebum, and this is generated disproportionately staying under the skin until it emerges as an outbreak.
- Drugs and chemicals: the drugs may encourage excessive production of sebum.
- Alcohol and snuff can lead to the appearance of sebum.
- The diet could also influence, as poor intake of nutrients, water and fats beneficial to the skin can damage the functions of our glands and hormones.
How to cure seborrhea?
There are many things you can do to cure this cosmetic problem.
- The first thing to do is to stop using everything you find to take away the extra fat from your skin. This will only lead to more problems increasing the production.
- Avoid all bad products, especially cosmetics, since some of them clog the pores and are terrible for the skin because of the chemicals they contain. Suitable soaps are the most natural and that contain few chemicals, preferably those containing selenium and zinc.
- Drink plenty of water every day pure, two liters is the most convenient, plus drink a carrot juice with alfalfa and celery, and a teaspoon of chia. This is great for the skin, thus will keep you skin very well nourished and moisturized and will reduce the oily appearance. You should always drink fresh juice.
- Foods that will benefit are: avocado, melon, oranges, extra virgin olive oil and papaya fasting. Avoid all refined and junk.
- When washing your face either at night or in the morning, use chamomile water, wash thoroughly, and then apply natural aloe cream.
- Apply a yogurt and honey mask once or twice a week. This is made with yogurt, put some in a cup and add two tablespoons of honey, then squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Stir well and apply before bath. Let dry and wash yogurt to bathe.
- Another effective remedy is to apply super green or rose clay on the skin. The clay has astringent, antibacterial, cleansing, exfoliating, etc., powerful effects. Buy a bag and always keep it in your bathroom before you shower your face, back and scalp. Apply previously dissolving clay in a little water to form a paste, and then apply. Make this remedy twice weekly. In the case of face, apply clay and let dry. Then wash.
- For oily hair, apply the juice of half a lemon in your shampoo when you bathe, and remember to use a good quality shampoo.
- Avoid being too worried about the condition or appearance of your skin, because the concern always makes things worse. It's best to learn to relax, stop waiting for others and better take care of your life, trust in yourself and your abilities and avoid criticizing and judging harshly.