Published: 01/26/2010 - Updated: 07/20/2016
Author: K. Laura Garcés G
Facial Reflexology is a modern method of treatment of facial stimulation really effective and completely natural to treat various conditions, particularly to treat disorders and musculo-skeletal pain, paralysis, regulates bodily functions, and emotional imbalances, among other things, activates the microcirculation blood. This is a complementary alternative that has its roots in oriental medicine, and has been practiced for thousands of years. This technique is of foot reflexology, with the advantage that this integrates the new findings in neuroscience.
How is treatment performed?
The treatment is carried out through manual pressure from various points in different areas of the face and skull, each with a specific relationship with neuromotor and autonomic nervous system. Pressure has a role in stimulating and causes the release of neurotransmitters and endorphins that act on organic endocrine, circulatory and lymphatic system functioning throughout the body, balancing and stabilizing.
The human face has about two hundred thousand nerve endings that are associated with central nervous system. These reflexology areas maintain close communication with internal organs and glands as well as with the circulatory system and lymphatic system. They are connected also with the energy channels known as meridians (nadis) in Chinese medicine.
A session usually consists in a facial analysis so the clinician has an idea of how is the patient. According to the condition, decides the treatment. A session lasts about an hour and a half, and usually takes about 2 or 3 months, as appropriate. The sessions usually are held once a week.
Facial Reflexology is very useful to treat conditions such as:
- Facial paralysis
- Fibromyalgia and neuralgia
- Regulate the metabolism
- Brain Damage
- Emotional imbalances such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, forgetfulness, insomnia, hyperactivity, learning disorders, lack of concentration, panic, mental fatigue, mental dispersion, etc.
- Hormonal imbalances
- Problems of posture and spine
- Spine problems
- Motor coordination and muscular symmetry
- Stuttering, dyslexia or speech problems
To facilitate processing, before each session, natural rosehip oil, olive oil or other cold extracted are applied. The therapist then distinguish the points at issue and make a gentle pressure on those areas of the face that require it, with the intention to unblock energy and nerve and adequate to allow free flow of nerve impulses and blood flow. A blockade could be felt when a deposit is formed in the nerve fiber (or point) that prevent those movements. The sequence of treatment usually follows 12 steps: stretching the skin with your fingers gently around seven times, firmly pressing the tissue and sliding the fingers with some pressure over the treatment area. Each zone is working between 1 and 3 minutes, depending on their length.
Below are the different zones in the face and their respective conditions to be discussed:
- Hormone Zone, which is related to the circulatory system and language dysfunction.
- Zone of the lung, which is related with skin disorders (dermatitis, ulcers, etc..), Allergies, shoulder, muscle tension and respiratory disorders.
- Zone of the colon, through which stimulates the large intestine in case of bleeding or nasal polyps.
- Belly or stomach area: this area is stimulated in case of learning problems, neck or sinusitis.
- Zone of the kidney: in case of sexual dysfunctions or disorders of sex organs (uterus, womb, ovary, prostate, testis, etc.).
- Gallbladder zone: in cases of gallbladder problems or conditions in knee or hip. Also stimulated when the character of the person is angry or violent.
- Zone of the heart: when there is excessive perspiration (nervousness), brain damage and facial nerve problems.
- Zone of the bladder: in cases of ear problems, spine and when the person suffers from phobias, fears, tensions, fears, etc.
The results can be seen quickly, especially in the mental and emotional balance because of the amazing nervous system.
Is it suitable for all ages?
This therapy is very effective for both children and adults and people of all ages, goes great with any concurrent therapy, however, is different from the way it works with a child than an adult, and therapy may vary according to time in case of brain injuries. Its effects may increase with an adequate diet.
Brain damage and children
In this case, it is best to commence at the earliest. A brain injury is usually difficult to cure, but it definitely can greatly improve the quality of life of a child, because children can do more things for themselves. Dr. Lone Sorensen, creator of the Method of facial reflexology, has worked with children with Down syndrome, in children getting no reaction to stimulation an autonomous state in which they can participate more actively in their environment, including learning new things. There have been some very interesting cases like that of a country girl with liver failure and was in a vegetative state. After little more than a year of treatment, the child could to the toilet, riding, laughing, sitting and making sounds by herself.
About Lone Sorensen
She is founder and director of the Institute of Reflexology / Facial International, and president of the Global Network of Reflexology. She is currently coordinating a project in a rehabilitation center for patients with brain injury in Denmark and teaches her techniques in Madrid, Barcelona, England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Holland, Italy, Mexico, Argentina and Japan. She won the 2001 prize of Nobility of the World Health Organization in Argentina for her research, becoming the first reflexologist in the world to receive recognition for her work.
About the author