Published: 10/15/2013 - Updated: 08/14/2019
Insomnia is a condition that affects thousands of people and is characterised by not being able to sleep. The consequences of not being able to sleep can be reflected in our performance throughout the day, as well as becoming a general nuisance in our lives.
There are many alternatives to treat and induce sleep, including drinks or bedtime juices, due to certain foodsources helping you to fall asleep. Known for their relaxing effect, cherries contain melatonin responsible for regulating sleep cycles, the mineral content in some fruits like bananas can be natural relaxants and some plants such as chamomile and lavender are calming herbs that can help with insomnia. Here we propose different options for natural drinks to improve your sleep.
1. Lettuce sleeping drink
- 3 To 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 celery
- 1 / 2 cup of water
- Clean and disinfect the lettuce leaves and celery.
- Blend with the help of a processor and add water if necessary, add more water to make it easier to drink.
- Mix well and drink 15-30 minutes before bedtime.
2. Cherry juice
- 1 cup of fresh cherries
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 - 2 tbsp. of honey
- 3 lemons
- Cut the cherries and remove the stone if you are using cherries that still have them inside.
- Cut the lemons and reserve the juice.
- Place the cherries in a blender or food processor and blend with the rest of the ingredients, water, honey and lemon juice.
3. Apple, carrot and spinach juice
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup of water
- 100g of spinach
- 1 Tbsp. of honey
- Peel and chop the carrot and cut the apples, remove the seeds and core of the apple.
- Clean and disinfect the spinach.
- Blend or process the carrots with apple, spinach, water and honey.
- Make sure the ingredients are blended well and drink before bed.
4. Lettuce and rosemary infusion for sleeping
- 1 / 2 cup of Fresh romaine lettuce
- 2 Tbsp. of rosemary
- 1 Tsp. of chamomile tea
- 1 Tsp of mint tea
- 1 To 2 tsp. of honey
- Wash and thoroughly disinfect lettuce leaves.
- Place in a saucepan with enough water to cover the lettuce leaves and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add chamomile, mint, rosemary and romaine lettuce.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes, remove from heat and strain the preparation.
- Drink while warm, sweetened with honey. You can add other sweeteners like sugar, brown sugar, etc.
5. Cherry & Banana Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 / 2 cup of fresh cherries
- 1 cup of Milk or soy milk
- 1 Tsp. of honey
- Cut the cherries and remove the stone, chop the banana into chunks.
- Blend all ingredients, cherries, banana, milk and honey.
- You can add some ice and vanilla extract.
6. Infusion of chamomile and lavender
- 1 Tsp. or chamomile tea
- 1 Tsp. or lavender tea
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 - 2 tsp. of honey
- Bring water to the boil, remove from heat and add the chamomile and lavender.
- Leave to infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Strain and sweeten with honey before drinking.