Published: 06/09/2011 - Updated: 06/08/2016
Headache and migraine are not diseases, but symptoms that warn of certain imbalances in the body. These symptoms are caused mainly by stress, hormonal changes, poor vision, and strong demand for self-(perfectionism) or being in front of the monitor for long periods. However, besides these factors, the headaches tend to occur when you have an inadequate diet. Not eating at the normal times, for example, may cause lightheadedness and headache. Poor nutrition and the consumption of certain products may predispose these pains.
If you suffer from frequent headaches or migraine, it is necessary that you work in the stress factor. Remember that the drugs just try to put out a symptom without taking into account the root that is generated, which eventually affect the body and its self-balance and healing. If you get used to the medication, your healing will always be temporary and your body may require stronger doses of painkillers at a time.
So the real healing begins with a genuine intention to heal what is causing this pain.
- Exercise: Exercise is a healthy habit, which helps your body and nervous system to recharge properly; you're venting tensions of your body. If you are tense, very depressed or anxious, but you do not notice it, your veins and blood vessels can become so contracted that the passage of blood to the head slows down, and this lack of oxygenation is one of the causes of headache.
- Find the cause of stress: once you've vented a little tension, you need to see what makes you feel tense, if you don’t; you will return to feel depressed but without noticing it. See if you do not push yourself too much or self-criticize. Perfectionism causes much stress and lack of confidence in life.
- If you have severe pain, it is best to prepare a herbal tea which is not only analgesic but will stimulate the natural defense system so your body can heal by itself.
Natural painkillers (plants against headache)
- Ginger is one of the best natural pain killers to reduce headache or migraine. To prepare a tea, just use a little of the plant and boil it in a cup of water for several minutes. Let stand and cool, strain and drink.
- The mint oil or tea is a great sedative. With the oil you can give a massage to the body, and mint tea can be prepared as sedative remedy.
- Willow stem: a powerful natural analgesic, it contains an element called salicin, which is found in aspirin and other pain-fighting medications. An infusion of this herb is prepared with a small piece of bark boiled in a glass of water. Allow to stand and cool. Drink a glass every eight hours.
- Passion flower, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm and linden tea, they all have powerful sedative effects. You can combine different herbs in tea and drink it every five hours during the day.
- Cat's Claw: This plant is highly recommended in cases of migraine, as it helps reduce inflammation.
The diet is very important if you suffer from headaches. Here are some foods to avoid, especially if your headache is caused by allergies, stress, nervousness or pressure.
Not recommended foods :
- If you really want to heal, it is necessary that you avoid all foods that irritate the nervous system. The main food to avoid is white sugar and stimulants like coffee or chocolate. Sugar is one of the foods that commonly cause severe imbalances in the nervous system, it demineralize the body as well.
- There are some foods that may predispose a headache and you must avoid them while you heal. These foods include red wine, beer, cured meats, aged cheeses, yeast, foods with monosodium glutamate (such as ketchup, salad dressings, marinades and commercial condiments, processed, canned soups, etc), all soft drinks and caffeinated beverages, and black tea or stimulants.
- The sausages have a great deal of nitrite, saturated fats, toxins, additives, dyes and preservatives, are a poison to the body and nervous system, and lead to internal poisoning, which lead to headaches. So you must avoid at all costs. The sausages, hams, etc. can be replaced by natural soy sausage or cereals.
- Artificial Colors: avoid those products with dyes, especially chips, drinks, etc.
To actually cure a migraine or frequent headaches, it is necessary to follow a diet that encourages self-healing capacity of the body and strengthen its defenses.
Foods that are recommended to include in your diet are: citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruit, etc.), fresh vegetables, either in juice or salad, fish, walnuts, almonds, vegetable milks and oils of first extraction. Do not use commercial salad dressings.
It is very important that you eat at normal hours and do not let your stomach empty for long periods.
FASTING: A green tea with lemon juice squeezed. Do not eat anything else until you have spent twenty minutes.
BREAKFAST: A bowl of fruit or oatmeal, brown rice with vegetables.
FOOD: Vegetable soups or broths, fresh salads, fish stew served with a vegetable juice. Avoid all sweetened drinks with meals.
DINNER: Steamed vegetables with tofu or fresh cheese, sandwich or full-vegetarian pizza, bowl of oatmeal with almond milk, sushi or some oriental dish with vegetables.
BEFORE SLEEP: Eat some sedative fruit or food as fresh apples, papaya, analgesic infusion of some herbs, fresh lettuce, etc.
Remember that health is built with a series of habits that are in accordance with the laws of nature in your body. And the best is natural medicine.